Help! Crumbling Cake!

Decorating By cookiescookies Updated 21 May 2011 , 12:33pm by cookiescookies

cookiescookies Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 5

I`m still pretty new to making wedding cakes. I`m currently making a four tier cake.

My bottom tier is a crumbly disaster. I used a betty crocker mix for this cake, which I find is often moist and crumbly..however since this is a large cake it`s posing a bigger problem than normal. The bottom layer of cake is ok, but when i placed the top layer on top of the filling large pieces broke off. I tried to patch it together and crumb coat. As I was crumb coating cake just kept falling at the sides.

I have so many questions! icon_smile.gif

If it holds, will it look ok when it it being cut and served? Secondly, will this cake provide enough support for my dowels, to stack the other cakes on top?

I'm wondering if I should start from scratch and make it again,? or if now that I finally got it crumbcoated, and put a final coat tomorrow, will it all be ok?
Help! Any advice appreciated!!

4 replies
cakesnglass Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 5

If you only have an issue with one tier, before you rebake try to figure out what happened? Did you forget any ingredients, did you overbake? etc.
I personally would start over. Avoid headaches for yourself and definetly feel confident that your providing your customer with the best cake you can deliver.
good luck

cookiescookies Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your opinion cakesnglass.

The reason it happened is because it's an eggless cake using a cake mix. I'm just nervous about starting from scratch because I don't know how much better the second try will go! But fingers crosses!! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 5

Are you just leaving the eggs out or using an egg replacer such as Ener-G ?

cookiescookies Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Leah,
I used Ener-G egg replacer...I'm considering using another brand (Bob's Red Mill) for my second attempt, and adding a pudding mix and milk instead of water. Hopefully this will result in a firmer cake.

Could I also ask your opinion on stacking the cakes. It's hexagon, so I couldn't buy SPS, and am using dowels. Do you think a soft cake on the bottom will cause issues when stacking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%