For Those Who Freeze Cake For Tastings..

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 21 May 2011 , 1:28pm by jsc2010

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure this is in the right forum... I apologize if it's not!

For those who freeze mini cakes or cupcakes and fillings/frostings for a tasting, how long do you keep them in the freezer for before tossing them if they don't get used?

My plan is to make a 6" round when I have leftover batter, and cut each into 5 sections to freeze individually so I have them on hand and ready to go. I wasn't sure how long they should be in the freezer for... I don't do a lot of wedding cakes, so I probably wouldn't need a lot of them, but want to be prepared icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

6 replies
jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 7

you don't say whether you are just freezing the cake by itself, but I would assume so. If you wrap your cakes really well I would say you would have 3 months. I personally wouldn't use them for tastings past that. Maybe for myself or my hubby to snack on when I didn't feel like baking, but wanted something sweet, but you really don't want to chance beyond that for premium flavor for prospective clients. Good luck.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 7

I just try to rotate mine and use the "older" ones first. I actually bake my "extra" in 3" pans so I don't have to worry about cutting them.

indydebi Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:01am
post #4 of 7

I pretty much did what you are suggesting: I baked an 8" square, then cut it into 9 pieces (3 rows by 3 columns ..... squares were a little bigger than 2x2" ... plenty big enough for tasting for 4). Put the whole thing in a big ziplok bag; pulled one piece out for each tasting. I had various flavors (white, choc, red velvet, carrot). Served 3 flavors at a tasting.

because of my schedule of tastings, I never had them in the freezer for more than 3 weeks, but wrapped and thawed properly, they could be held longer.

jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 11:54am
post #5 of 7

you say that your little squares are big enough for a tasting of four? After you take it out of the freezer do you cut them yet again? or each person just has their own fork and cuts a bite? I have often wondered how one went about doing tastings. Thanks for any input.

indydebi Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

you say that your little squares are big enough for a tasting of four? After you take it out of the freezer do you cut them yet again? or each person just has their own fork and cuts a bite? I have often wondered how one went about doing tastings. Thanks for any input.

I served three of these squares so it was roughly the equivalent of a 2.5x7" piece of cake. I served the squares "naked" with a variety of icings and fillings so they could mix and match. Each person took a fork and grabbed a bit of whatever cake they wanted. Some brides sliced it down for whoever she brought with her .... some just picked up their forks and said, "Go!" thumbs_up.gif

Here's a thread with some pics that show a few ways of doing tastings: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tray&&start=15

jsc2010 Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 7

I offer three slices of cake for each person attending the tasting. The pieces are double layer 1" thick by 1 1/2 inch wide. I frost with the frosting I feel best compliments the flavor of the cake. I present the 3 slices on a retangular plate. I usually ask the before hand bride what flavors they have in mind and if they want fillings and then let them choose from my popular flavors. Then I prepare accordingly. I keep 1 cup of my different fruit fillings in the freezer as well. I used to make up cakes for each tasting and my family would finish the leftovers until we all started putting on weight from eating so much cake. haha...Now I do the freeze method!
I bake my most poular flavors in a one layer 9x13 pan and cut from that when needed. I have gotten many compliments on my display and presentation. Most of the time the groom finishes all of his cake and the bride takes a few bites. I have had the groom finish the brides cake in many cases as well. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%