For Those Who Freeze Cake For Tastings..

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 21 May 2011 , 1:28pm by jsc2010

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure this is in the right forum... I apologize if it's not!

For those who freeze mini cakes or cupcakes and fillings/frostings for a tasting, how long do you keep them in the freezer for before tossing them if they don't get used?

My plan is to make a 6" round when I have leftover batter, and cut each into 5 sections to freeze individually so I have them on hand and ready to go. I wasn't sure how long they should be in the freezer for... I don't do a lot of wedding cakes, so I probably wouldn't need a lot of them, but want to be prepared icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

6 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 7

you don't say whether you are just freezing the cake by itself, but I would assume so. If you wrap your cakes really well I would say you would have 3 months. I personally wouldn't use them for tastings past that. Maybe for myself or my hubby to snack on when I didn't feel like baking, but wanted something sweet, but you really don't want to chance beyond that for premium flavor for prospective clients. Good luck.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 7

I just try to rotate mine and use the "older" ones first. I actually bake my "extra" in 3" pans so I don't have to worry about cutting them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:01am
post #4 of 7

I pretty much did what you are suggesting: I baked an 8" square, then cut it into 9 pieces (3 rows by 3 columns ..... squares were a little bigger than 2x2" ... plenty big enough for tasting for 4). Put the whole thing in a big ziplok bag; pulled one piece out for each tasting. I had various flavors (white, choc, red velvet, carrot). Served 3 flavors at a tasting.

because of my schedule of tastings, I never had them in the freezer for more than 3 weeks, but wrapped and thawed properly, they could be held longer.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 11:54am
post #5 of 7

you say that your little squares are big enough for a tasting of four? After you take it out of the freezer do you cut them yet again? or each person just has their own fork and cuts a bite? I have often wondered how one went about doing tastings. Thanks for any input.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

you say that your little squares are big enough for a tasting of four? After you take it out of the freezer do you cut them yet again? or each person just has their own fork and cuts a bite? I have often wondered how one went about doing tastings. Thanks for any input.

I served three of these squares so it was roughly the equivalent of a 2.5x7" piece of cake. I served the squares "naked" with a variety of icings and fillings so they could mix and match. Each person took a fork and grabbed a bit of whatever cake they wanted. Some brides sliced it down for whoever she brought with her .... some just picked up their forks and said, "Go!" thumbs_up.gif

Here's a thread with some pics that show a few ways of doing tastings: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tray&&start=15

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 7

I offer three slices of cake for each person attending the tasting. The pieces are double layer 1" thick by 1 1/2 inch wide. I frost with the frosting I feel best compliments the flavor of the cake. I present the 3 slices on a retangular plate. I usually ask the before hand bride what flavors they have in mind and if they want fillings and then let them choose from my popular flavors. Then I prepare accordingly. I keep 1 cup of my different fruit fillings in the freezer as well. I used to make up cakes for each tasting and my family would finish the leftovers until we all started putting on weight from eating so much cake. haha...Now I do the freeze method!
I bake my most poular flavors in a one layer 9x13 pan and cut from that when needed. I have gotten many compliments on my display and presentation. Most of the time the groom finishes all of his cake and the bride takes a few bites. I have had the groom finish the brides cake in many cases as well. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%