Newbie Needs Help Asap :)

Decorating By SweetNessa86 Updated 20 May 2011 , 7:32pm by Lovin_Cakes30

SweetNessa86 Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

So I love baking... i always find recipes online or from books that I try for fun or family functions they always come out perfect and people always compliment me on how great of a baker I am.. my next venture is making my best friend a cake for her baby shower in June... at first I looked up stuff online and it all seemed fairly difficult but like a project I am going to love challenging myself with BUT now I am seeing that I am missing pieces I love Cake central and have gotten great advice by reading other peoples posts but I am slightly confused.... so far I understand I have the following steps someone with experience please help me fill in the missing steps or whatever I am missing my best friend and I would greatly appreciate it I am going to do a cake this weekend for fun just to have some experience before I go for the babyshower cake... so far these are the steps I know...

1. bake the cakes in the tier size pans I need
2. let them cool
3. cut them down to be even and shaped correctly
4. use icing in between layers
5. cover with fondant
6. decorate and refrigerate until serving

another thing i am slightly confused about it how many cakes go in each tier like i know for example the bottom tier should be two layers one cake cut in half??

please someone helppppppp!!!!!!!

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNessa86

another thing i am slightly confused about it how many cakes go in each tier like i know for example the bottom tier should be two layers one cake cut in half??

Your post is hard to follow with zero periods. The question, I assume, is about cutting one cake in half. Do you mean cutting it horizontally?

Each tier is typically two 2" deep layers that total 4" high.

carmijok Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 5

Cutting one layer in half horizontally is called torting. And you can do that if you want your tiers to be different sizes, or to sheet cakes to add fillings.
I always fill my cake pans higher than is instructed so that i end up with an actual 2" size cake layer. I trim down the top of the cake after cooled while it is in the pan so it will be level. Then I freeze. When frozen I fill and crumb coat. (cold cakes crumb coat easier). Put back in the fridge to set the crumb coat and then frost and smooth and decorate. (or stack first and then decorate).

I don't cover with fondant, just buttercream. And I keep my cakes in the refrigerator until delivery time which I do about an hour before an event. Gives the cake time to come to room temp. HTH!

young9 Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 5

my tiers are 2, 2" layers but i torte them and fill them so there is actually 4 layers of cake.

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 5

The other thing you should look at is using dowels to support you tiers ... if you are doing mulitiple tiers =) I don't refridgerate cake afer I put the fondant on. Then it can get gummy or bleed colors..... I think it depends on how humid your environment is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%