Need Ideas For Husband's 30 Yr. Medical Practice Cake

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 24 May 2011 , 2:05am by cownsj

Elaine2581 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 7

My husband started out in solo medical practice 30 years ago in July; he's been in 3 different buildings and used 3 different names as he has taken on business partners. Some have come & gone for various reasons and currently he has about 50 doctors, nurses, lab techs, receptionists, etc. I thought about a cake in the shape of a 30 with 3 different buildings but that sounds kind of boring. I don't know if I could make figures of the different doctors and I certainly don't want to offend any if my modeling wasn't to their liking. I've recently made two cakes for their office; one with medical tools spelling out a name and the other a shirt/tie/stethoscope. I considered a tiered cake with a road going up but think I might reserve that idea for my husband's 60th birthday in 2012. I guess I might could make a doctor's bag but he never uses one and I want to make it feel like it includes others because he never would be where he is today without the others in the group. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 7

What about an exam room?

SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 7

Just found this cake! Don't know how this would include everyone, but it's pretty awesome!

http://shewalkssoftly.com/2008/12/20/medical-textbook-cake/

jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 7

I think that the book cake with the anatomy thing is very very detailed, and a great idea if you don't mind doing that much detail, but I like the idea of a surgery room or medical examining room. You would not have to show a patient's insides or anything or maybe just an examining room w/o the patient. Just have a picture of the doctor(your husband) and a patient sitting in the room. Or you could put some doctor's equipment on the cake and in and amongst the items write down people's names who are in his office if you can write small. I guess it depends on the size of cake. YOu could write a big congratulations on the cake for the 30 years and then make a plaque of all the names of the people in his building or who are under him, whatever the situation and that way they know that they are appreciated. YOu could make that placque with all of their names on it and set it up at the back of the cake where it can be easily seen and write congratulations on the cake and put pictures of items he does use. I am sure that if you don't know all of the names that there would be a way to get them and the correct spelling if you talked to someone in his office and told them why you wanted to get their names. Good luck. Would love to see what you came up with.

Elaine2581 Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the responses. I really like the exam room idea and since my cakes are usually 4+ inches tall I could record the names and date of the doctors and employees who still work there all along the sides of the cakes. The medical book cake is interesting but doesn't really look appetizing to me. I would never be able to accomplish that without using edible imaging or something like that. I have some time so I think for now I'll work on the exam room idea in my head. Thanks again.

SarahBeth3 Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #6 of 7

Sounds like it will look great! Be sure to let us know how it goes and post a photo so we can see!

cownsj Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

If you want to add a little whimsy, how about an Operation Game cake? http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1772680

You could certainly write names on the sides of this cake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%