Whipped Cream Frosting Panic Question

Baking By suzieQ929 Updated 23 May 2011 , 4:54am by samgill99

suzieQ929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzieQ929 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone...I feel like such an idiot because I know what I did wrong here, but don't know how to fix it...

Okay, so I bought whipping cream and not "Heavy Whipping Cream" (on accident of course!) and tried making my recipe for chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting...I put together all of my ingredients, refrigerated them, and started whipping, to find it's not whipping at all!!! That's when I realized I bought the wrong stuff! icon_sad.gif

Any suggestions on how to turn my 14 cups of nothing into whipped cream frosting?? Can I add meringue powder to it and hope it'll firm up?? Or do I have to toss it all, go back to the store and start over?

Any suggestions would help, THANKS!

The recipe was (Rose Levy Beranbaum's)
1 cup heavy whipping cream (which I did not use)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tbls. cocoa powder
2 1/2 tbls. granulated sugar

5 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 6

Add unsalted butter to it and whip. Have the butter cold but not frozen and cut it up into chips to add as the mixer whirls away. You'll be fine, it will taste great.

suzieQ929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzieQ929 Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 6

ok...trying the butter addition now....altho its seems chunky and im trying to smooth it w/ paddle attachment. how much do you suggest adding? I have 8 cups in one mixer and the rest in the other

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

No idea. Keep it whirling, all of the chunks of butter will eventually dissolve into a nice smooth icing. May take a while but be patient. I would start out with 3 sticks of butter and now that I look at your recipe, I would also add some powdered sugar. I didn't realize you only had 2-1/2 tsps. of sugar in your recipe. Adding powdered sugar and the butter will turn it into a standard buttercream, but with the cream - it will taste a lot more fluffy. Once again, add three sticks of unsalted butter to the mix then a few cups of powdered sugar (sorry, can't tell you how much because I'd need to see it for myself.)

Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:21am
post #5 of 6

Probably too late but you also could've tried to add some instant vanilla or white choc pudding....

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:54am
post #6 of 6

i would have suggested instant pudding as well - it would have firmed it up and added a nice flavour too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%