How Long Is To Long?

Decorating By rocky5777 Updated 20 May 2011 , 9:42pm by SarahBeth3

rocky5777 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have just baked some cakes for a graduation party next Thursday, They are in the freezer. I am planning on taking them out, and filling them Monday, Should I put them back in the fridge? I was going to start decorating Tuesday, do you think they will be fine, and not sag by Thursday? There is going to be 8 tiers in all, a 4 tier on one stand and 4 tier on another, and a small single tier for the 3rd. I am afraid if I don't start early I will run out of time. Thoughts?

Also all cakes will be covered in fondant. If that makes a difference.

6 replies
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 7

I have done fondant covered cake up to 4 days in advance, but none this big. If you can wait as long as possible to actually stack some of it, I think you would be fine. Maybe someone else has experience with one this size.

rocky5777 Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I do not have to stack it until the day of. But I would like to get all the tiers decorated before hand. Just in case something goes wrong, and I have to rebake or redo

SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, I like to do it that way too. Then there is less likely to be last second emergencies! Good planning, hope it goes well!

whiteangel Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 7

I too would love this info as I am making a huge GRAD cake for this coming Thursday also. Plan to have all baking done this weekend with some of the fondant decorations also completed and left to dry. I planned to start covering and decorating Tuesday to be completed Wednesday night. If I can start a day earlier I would sure help. Don't want dried out cakes!!

Fondant I will just work in extra shortening to keep it from drying out too fast. I make my own mmf.

It's that time of year.

Marianna46 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Three or four days in advance won't either allow your cake to dry out or your fondant to start cracking (unless you live in a really dry climate). I agree - I prefer to do things pretty far in advance to avoid any last minute rushes. I PREFER to - that doesn't mean it always works out that way - LOL!

SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 7

I hear ya Marianna!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%