How Long Is To Long?

Decorating By rocky5777 Updated 20 May 2011 , 9:42pm by SarahBeth3

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have just baked some cakes for a graduation party next Thursday, They are in the freezer. I am planning on taking them out, and filling them Monday, Should I put them back in the fridge? I was going to start decorating Tuesday, do you think they will be fine, and not sag by Thursday? There is going to be 8 tiers in all, a 4 tier on one stand and 4 tier on another, and a small single tier for the 3rd. I am afraid if I don't start early I will run out of time. Thoughts?

Also all cakes will be covered in fondant. If that makes a difference.

6 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 7

I have done fondant covered cake up to 4 days in advance, but none this big. If you can wait as long as possible to actually stack some of it, I think you would be fine. Maybe someone else has experience with one this size.

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I do not have to stack it until the day of. But I would like to get all the tiers decorated before hand. Just in case something goes wrong, and I have to rebake or redo

SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, I like to do it that way too. Then there is less likely to be last second emergencies! Good planning, hope it goes well!

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 7

I too would love this info as I am making a huge GRAD cake for this coming Thursday also. Plan to have all baking done this weekend with some of the fondant decorations also completed and left to dry. I planned to start covering and decorating Tuesday to be completed Wednesday night. If I can start a day earlier I would sure help. Don't want dried out cakes!!

Fondant I will just work in extra shortening to keep it from drying out too fast. I make my own mmf.

It's that time of year.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Three or four days in advance won't either allow your cake to dry out or your fondant to start cracking (unless you live in a really dry climate). I agree - I prefer to do things pretty far in advance to avoid any last minute rushes. I PREFER to - that doesn't mean it always works out that way - LOL!

SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 7

I hear ya Marianna!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%