Freezer Or Fridge?

Lounge By Lizmybit Updated 21 May 2011 , 12:11pm by jules5000

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 9

I don't often work with fondant but this weekend my cake needs it. I have to say I'm a little nervous. Anyway, I usually store my cake in the freezer until a few hours before delivery. Can this be done with Fondant, or is the fridge better?

Thanks!

8 replies
CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

Fondant tends to sweat when thawing out from the freezer (at least that has been my experience). I wouldn't risk it. Have never tried the fridge technique either, my cakes are made within 1-2 days before delivery - they sit out.

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 9

My Cake is being picked up tomorrow, I just always send it cold, since I'm worried about it being damaged during delivery. Plus I use a lot of heavy cream in my frosting, I don't want it sitting out too long. Thanks for the advise, I guess the fridge is the way to go.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 9

I'd leave it out on the counter.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 9

Can it sit out if it's filled with ganache? I have that dilema right now.
I just covered the top tier and it started to get warm, so I tossed in teh fridge for just a minute.
My daughter's party is tomorrow night. The larger tier has the ganache. Can it really stay out?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 9

Put your fondant covered cake in a box and then cover your box with either cling wrap or even a garbage bag. The idea is to keep the moisture at bay. Keep in the fridge until ready to deliver. If you can let it sit out and come to room temp in the box so much the better. If you are used to delivering a cold cake then deliver it cold. Yes, fondant can sweat but it also eventually dries.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 9

I have the serv safe certification and I know what their rules say about leaving stuff out like that. Don't do it unless it has been well refrigerated for several hours and then only leave it out for four. I myself, have quite a cool home and if need be in the summer turn the air up so it stays cool. In the winter, no problem at all. Our back room is quite cold even with winterized windows and if need be will set it back there. Sometimes, it is as cold as outside. We had to wear coats to use the computer. Now I think that if you know that your house runs cool enough that you could leave it out, but I would say that that is your own judgement call. If it has fillings in it that need to stay chilled don't leave it out. I have a buttercream recipe that is safe to leave out. So if it is just that for filling and icing under the fondant I leave it out. If you have to put it in the fridge make sure that it is well covered so it won't dry out. I have never had the bubble problems that a lot of these people talk about when having fondant refrigerated. I am sure that there could be a time that it happens, but I would rather put it in the fridge than have someone get sick. You could tell your customer that there are certain side effects that can happen to fondant that is refrigerated and if they still want a certain filling I WOuld have them sign a form that said they understood the possibilities and waived any right to complain about anything happening to the cake's exterior looks from being refrigerated if you felt that you needed to do that. Good Luck.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 9

What temperature are you considering cool enough?
My house is around 60 right now.
Of course, this is supposed to be the warmest day all year in Oregon. But that's outside and it will still only be in the 70s icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 9

I would say around 38-50. Our back room got that cold and colder this winter. When we really needed to work on the computer we either put coats on or built a fire. Our back room is quite a ways from our thermostat so it does not cause it to come on even being that cold. But this was basically like between steps. If it had a filling that needed refrigeration I definitely put it in the fridge. For something like that I only left it out in really cold areas just between steps of decorating it so I would not have to go to the garage 6 times to get it. That is where my second fridge is. The buttercream icing I use was given to me by a professional decorator and she does not have to refridgerate her cakes using this. She has been in business for 47 years at least. I think that she has been doing cakes since '63. She has never had a problem. So I just use her icing and when the filling does not call for being refrigerated I just make sure that my cake is well covered if I am going to leave it un-attended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%