Imbc Dreaded Soupy Mess

Baking By lennyk Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 12:59am by lennyk

lennyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lennyk Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:16am
post #1 of 12

help, attempted IMBC 4 times in the last 24 hours, each time turned to the dreaded soupy mess, chilled the mess and still wouldn't come together.
Syrup to 245f, added butter barely chilled and just slightly firm.
Used both whip and paddle

I see so many people talk about chilling the soup and it will work out after whipping, somehow that doesn't work for me, in fact it just gets worse and turns into an oily mess.

I've made IMBC many times before, I must have been doing something unknowingly right or wrong.

Any suggestions ?

11 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 20 May 2011 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 12

I pack some bags of frozen vegetables under the bowl and just keep mixing on medium with the paddle. And mixing. And mixing. And worrying. And mixing. And pacing. And mixing. Eventually, it will come together if I keep mixing. (This is for SMBC, but I think it behaves pretty much the same as IMBC by this point in the process.)

In the past I also tried sticking the whole bowl in the fridge, but like you, I ended up with a greasy, clumpy mess. Cooling it down while keeping it moving has always worked best for me.

The warmer my kitchen is, the longer the soup stage seems to last.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

I pack some bags of frozen vegetables under the bowl and just keep mixing on medium with the paddle. And mixing. And mixing. And worrying. And mixing. And pacing. And mixing. Eventually, it will come together if I keep mixing. (This is for SMBC, but I think it behaves pretty much the same as IMBC by this point in the process.)

In the past I also tried sticking the whole bowl in the fridge, but like you, I ended up with a greasy, clumpy mess. Cooling it down while keeping it moving has always worked best for me.

The warmer my kitchen is, the longer the soup stage seems to last.

Yep, what she said. But in a moment of frustration I did take my bowl in put in the fridge. I then put it back on and it came together slightly but still not to my liking. I then set the bowl aside and walked away. The next morning, it was all together and perfect consistency. I have no idea why, but at least it worked.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 12

I learned how to make IMBC using the youtube video by Warren Brown from Cakelove. Hopefully this might help. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWmiHRTMz8&feature=related

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 12

when I first started making IMBC, i was not letting the meringue + syrup mixture cool down enough before adding the butter. now, after i add the syrup, i put the mixer on low and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 12

Most of the time when it turns soupy, you can do as the PP suggested and put it in the fridge or set the bowl on ice. If you try to whip the IMBC back up after refrigerating, without letting it come back to room temp, it will fall apart. It has to come back to room temp, before you can whip it back up...I too learned the hard way...Whisk Kid has a great tutorial on IMBC on her blog - http://whisk-kid.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-italian-meringue.html - it was very imformative and detailed!

But when all else fails, I have learned to walk away...just leave the mixer on and walk away, and usually by the time you cool down and stop swearing at the IMBC, it has come together, lol!
HTH

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 12

After adding the syrup to the meringue I ALWAYS let it cool down at least 45 minutes. . . I was taught the bowl had to be cool to the touch. Your simple syrup HAS to be the correct temperature, too. . . I usually let it go to 250 before I pour. I agree with the other posters that letting it whip, whip, and whip some more helps. I find the leaving the room helps, too. . . IMBC has that 'watched pot' thing going on! icon_smile.gif Also, make sure your syrup is getting incorporated into your egg whites when you add the two together - it's a matter of finding that 'sweet' spot where the syrup isn't being flung against the side of your bowl to harden and it's not running straight down the sides either (which will cause it to pool at the bottom under the whites).

I've read that the temperature of your butter plays a big part in how it comes together, too. If it's very soft to the touch, it's too soft to come together in the frosting. . . but if it's the slightest too hard (cool), you'll get soup until it softens enough to combine. I've been using IMBC exclusively for a few years now and in the beginning, I'd always get 'the soup' but I have to say that now I don't get it at all. It's a lot of trial and error but, WOW, I think the extra work is totally worth it. I don't use any other buttercream.

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 12

Walls1971 is correct, the bowl should be cool to the touch, if it is not cool to the touch, then the meringue is not ready for the butter. Amazingly, the first time I made IMBC, I didn't get the soupy stage...then the next 3 times I did, but I have taught myself to be patient and let the meringue cool down. Since then, no more soupy mess!

Good luck with your IMBC!

lennyk Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 12

well part of the problem is I live in the tropics and our kitchen always 85+f
I will check the meringue temp before adding butter next time.

anikaxova Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anikaxova Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 12

On a side note, has anyone ever encountered the meringue BC oozing liquid after a few hours? My IMBC/SMBCs come whip up well, but when I chill leftovers, occasionally, I find at the bottom of the bowl a small pool of liquid or syrup.... Also, if you're going to flavor a MBC with fruit puree, would you add it as part of the syrup liquid? or mix in the puree after the MBC is completed? Thanks a lot for any responses!

lennyk Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

attempted again and got some success, 1 out of 5

my kitchen is hot, basically around 84-88f
after whipping the IM I put the mixer bowl in an iced water bath to chill it down to around 70f.
Put in the butter bit by bit and rechilled a couple times.
Eventually got the curdled look and then it came together.

I am assuming curdling stage is just where the butter is breaking down to incorporate with the meringue.
In all of my failures I never got the curdled stage, so I suspect the butter
melted quickly to liquid oil and soup.

I believe the times I had success I probably put in the butter quickly and the butter was able to cool the entire bowl contents.

Gonna try again to confirm my technique.

Is 1.5-2 oz butter per egg white a standard ratio ?

lennyk Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:59am
post #12 of 12

the dreaded IMBC soupy failures have started back
3 batches all turned into watery soup
all taken to 245 syrup
even tried beating the third try to very stiff
same results

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%