Square Cake Corners Hard

Baking By Lovin_Cakes30 Updated 19 May 2011 , 9:59pm by Lovin_Cakes30

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 19 May 2011 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 6

I just made an 8x2" and 6x2" square chocolate cake....the corners are a bit hard. Does this mean the whole thing will be dry and over done? Should I re-do them? I hate not being able to try a cake before giving it to someone!!!!!!!!!!! ugh.

5 replies
wildflowercakes Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 6

Do the center and sides feel hard ? If the corners only feel hard about a 1/4 in. into the cake I wouldn't worry about it. The frosting will moisten the corners.

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 6

On the smaller one it is just barely in the corners...the bigger one seems to be a bit hard on all of the edges but only 1/4" or less in....I was thinking that frosting will soften them up too....The center and anything after that 1/4 or so inch is not hard at all.

wildflowercakes Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 6

If it were me I 'd go with it. HAVE FUN! :0)

sillywabbitz Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 6

I know that this doesn't help for the current situation but did you use a nonstick spray on your pans? If so switch to pan grease (equal parts shortening,flour and brush it onto the pans) or old fashioned shortening and flour the pans. Those sprays gave me crusty edges and corners all the time.

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 6

I did use shortening and flour but maybe a bit too much on the big one...oops...I think it is also the peanut butter chips I put in....totally forgot about them and there are some on the edges...duh haha. Not the entire problem I'm sure though....just crumb coated it...ill see if it helped when I get done with work tonight....if not I guess I will have some extra cupcakes when I re do the one layer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%