Hard Edible Logo On Cupcakes

Baking By Amclane Updated 23 May 2011 , 8:51pm by Amclane

Amclane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amclane Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

I am making some cupcakes and a cake for a grand opening. I am piping the logo onto the cake but for the cupcakes I want it have it like a sign. I was thinking a fondant/gumpaste mix and let them dry but then I am not sure now to put the logo on the fondant. Any suggestions on how to make the logo on the fondant?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 5

why don't you pipe the logo onto the fondant/gumpaste (after it has dried of course) on with royal icing? i do that all the time with monograms.

pammie212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammie212 Posted 19 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5

Last week I made a hard edible plaque for cake, and you could probably use the same technique for the cupcake as long as the details aren't too small.
I used the frozen butter cream transfer technique with colored melted candy/chocolate wafers instead of buttercream. I printed off a copy of the school mascot (use the "reverse" setting in your printer preferences). I taped it on a cookie sheet and then taped parchment paper over the picture. I melted my colored candy wafers/chocolate and filled piping bags fitted with tips 1,2 or 3, depending on the space of the design. Then I used the different colors to outline and fill in. Let the out lines, or lettering, set slightly before going on to the next color so they don't run into each other. I thought this side looked really messy and lumpy, so I took a chance and I covered the entire design with a neutral color and smoothed it (you'll understand that part if you watch the You Tube videos referenced below). Let it cool and harden completely. The cookie sheet makes it easy to set aside in a SAFE place, or in the fridge/freezer if you are in a hurry. But the cold could cloud the chocolate. When it's hard, gently flip over and peel off the paper. The under side would now be your top side and should be nice and smooth-and yummy to eat! I was so impressed with my efforts! I can't get a pic to upload here, but I did add it to my profile pics. Check out You Tube for tutorials on Frozen buttercream transfers.

ihateveggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihateveggies Posted 19 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 5

do you have access to a bakery that would print the images for you? you could put them on the fondant & let them dry & either lay them flat or stand them up on the cupcakes...

or paint on the fondant with some gel colour mixed with a tiny bit of vodka - I do this all the time for logos - sometimes I make a template (either with paper if its just for a one time thing) or with mylar if its for multiple uses - the hockey cake I did used a paper cut out for the Canadian hockey logo -

Amclane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amclane Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your replies, I didn't realize they didn't notify you when someone replies. All are great ideas that I didn't even think of. I am going to do some trial ones with the different techniques to see which one works best for me.

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%