Buttercream

Decorating By countrygirlz Updated 19 May 2011 , 9:10pm by LindaF144a

countrygirlz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirlz Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering how long buttercream icing is good for if it has been refrigerated? I have unused icing in my fridge and wanted to know if I am able to use it? Does it last only days or weeks in the fridge?

5 replies
 pastrygirls  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

i would say that it depends on your recipe. what kind of buttercream are you making? does it have egg whites? does it have butter? does it use shortening? the buttercream i use has egg whites and butter and we keep it around 60*F for a week or more.

pastrygirls  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

i would say that it depends on your recipe. what kind of buttercream are you making? does it have egg whites? does it have butter? does it use shortening? the buttercream i use has egg whites and butter and we keep it around 60*F for a week or more.

countrygirlz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirlz Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

It just has butter and shortening and icing sugar with very little milk in it. No eggs but still unsure how long it is good for?

ConnieJ  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 6

my buttercream is similar to yours but no shortening and i will leave it in the fridge for about a week. if i know i'm not going to use it that soon, i put it in the freezer and that usually extends the life by a couple of weeks.

LindaF144a  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 6

I think if you do a research on that type of frosting it has a very long shelf life out of the fridge, so it should have a longer one in the fridge. Look around here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%