Buttercream

Decorating By countrygirlz Updated 19 May 2011 , 9:10pm by LindaF144a

countrygirlz Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering how long buttercream icing is good for if it has been refrigerated? I have unused icing in my fridge and wanted to know if I am able to use it? Does it last only days or weeks in the fridge?

5 replies
pastrygirls Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

i would say that it depends on your recipe. what kind of buttercream are you making? does it have egg whites? does it have butter? does it use shortening? the buttercream i use has egg whites and butter and we keep it around 60*F for a week or more.

pastrygirls Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

i would say that it depends on your recipe. what kind of buttercream are you making? does it have egg whites? does it have butter? does it use shortening? the buttercream i use has egg whites and butter and we keep it around 60*F for a week or more.

countrygirlz Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

It just has butter and shortening and icing sugar with very little milk in it. No eggs but still unsure how long it is good for?

ConnieJ Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 6

my buttercream is similar to yours but no shortening and i will leave it in the fridge for about a week. if i know i'm not going to use it that soon, i put it in the freezer and that usually extends the life by a couple of weeks.

LindaF144a Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 6

I think if you do a research on that type of frosting it has a very long shelf life out of the fridge, so it should have a longer one in the fridge. Look around here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%