For Those That Do Wedding Cakes....

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 19 May 2011 , 5:20pm by dst10spr97

dst10spr97 Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 3

How did you get into wedding cakes? How did you initially learn the necessary skills to make good cakes? As a fairly new caker I initially said I wasn't going to do wedding cakes, because to be honest they intimidated me plus with me initially starting from my home I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do and I know a lot of venues require a licensed cake vendor. Besides I know how I was on my wedding day and I don't want to run up on a Bridezilla. However I've had a change or heart and I really want to eventually be able to do them. Wedding cakes are so beautiful and artistic to me. I'm just curious as to how did you take that leap for those that do wedding cakes? Are those your primary source of clients?
Also any good books/tutorials out there on wedding cakes specifically?

I recently took the Wilton Tall Cakes class but I want to learn more and practice practice practice! icon_smile.gif Thanks

2 replies
cakegrandma Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 3

I would start practicing on stacked cakes and doing more intricate decorating. With not being licensed and insured you may be limited on to who and where your cakes can be displayed at a wedding. I am in Florida and places also often ask to have a copy of your insurer at the venue. If you advertise you will be bringing attention you yourself and the perhaps drawing the wrong kind of attention to you and your business. I would try to talk to friends and others around to see if you can do this by word of mouth until you get going. The best solution is to get licensed.

dst10spr97 Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 3

I just missed two cake classes I really wanted to take. One was with Marina Sousa at the Notter school but by the time I registered it was full. The other is actually in July at Savannah Custom Cakes but I have a previous class that weekend that I can't miss. icon_sad.gif Hopefully they offer another one that fits into my schedule. I'm currently not selling cakes, just doing them for friends here and there, and to build a portfolio. Currently waiting on this Cottage Food law to pass. I'm also in Florida (NE). I will definitely get insured, and I called the county (Nassau) to inquired about what I needed to run a business from home. Haven't gotten a reply back yet from my contact person. Hubby and I plan on forming an LLC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%