Help. How To Do Diamond Look On Side Of Buttercream Frost Ca

Decorating By meyer_therese4 Updated 19 May 2011 , 3:26pm by Elaine2581

meyer_therese4 Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 4

Making daughters wedding cake. She wants diamond look on side of cake. I have used buttercream frosting. Want to add edible pearls on points. Need help on getting the diamond look on side of cake. I need help today. Wedding is Saturday

3 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 4

This cake shows two different diamond techniques.

The top tier is done with a diamond impression mat that you can purchase at your local cake supply if you have one. They're pretty inexpensive.

The second one uses fondant cutters to create the diamonds on the bottom tier.

There are people who do the top tier by making a triangle out of cardstack and the use a ruler to draw each angular line 1 inch apart then the flip the template and go back the other way if that makes sense.

inspiredbymom Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 4

I use an impression mat on my butter cream. Do you have a store that carries such things? If not, what about a straight edge? When I did pillows, I took card stock and cut it in a strip and then took a wheel tool to make the impressions. However that was with fondant. What if you marked even intervals on your crusted buttercream and just pressed a straight edge where you marked? A ruler maybe? It would be a little wider than a wheel tool. A ruler is easier to purchase that the mat if you don't have a cake store close to you.

Elaine2581 Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

I use an impression mat with buttercream but if you don't have easy access to one, another suggestion is to cut a strip of soft craft foam. I use this all the time with both fondant and buttercream when I need to make a pattern for decorations. It doesn't have sharp edges if you happen to drop it but you could easily press lightly on it to make an impression in the buttercream. Just cut it the width you want and place it at an angle and press. Then after all marks are made in one direction, turn it over and go back in the other direction. Hope that makes sense to you. Congrats on your daughter's wedding. Hope you're not too tired to enjoy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%