Can Anyone Recommend A Template For Cutting Animal Stripes?

Decorating By pumpkin823 Updated 19 May 2011 , 6:22pm by TexasSugar

pumpkin823 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkin823 Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:43am
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I am looking for a template for zebra, giraffe, and tiger stripes that I could use. Thanks!

5 replies
Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 19 May 2011 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I havent seen any templates like this but I am sure they are out there. You'll probably find most people do them free hand. Find a picture on google of the animal print you want and imitate it by hand. Nature is varied so having stripes/panels are sizes and shapes just adds the natural look.
Check out the pink tier cake in my gallery, the bottom zebra strips were freehand and i think it worked quite well!

The are also great videos on youtube (particuarly Mystical Mischief), who shows this technique really well:

HTH
Sam xx

pumpkin823 Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Sam! I am not good at free hand but I will give it my best shot. Thanks again!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 6

The good think about the animal spots/strips is they aren't perfect. They do vary, and that adds to the realistic look.

I don't like free handing either, but when I did my zebra striped cake I realized I was spending so much time looking up strips to find a template to use that I could have had them already done and over with if i just pulled out the fondant and went with it. icon_smile.gif

pumpkin823 Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks TexasSugar! You are right. I have been obessing with finding and printing a template that I could just free hand. Also can the stripes be done ahead of time or should I do them the day the cake is due? Thanks!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2011 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 6

For me, if it is a decoration that I need to bend, like over the edge then I roll it out and cut it then put it directly on the cake. I've seen people talk about doing it ahead of time and sealing them in a plastic bag, but I have never done that myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%