How To Make Poppy Flowers

Decorating By chefmommyof2 Updated 23 May 2011 , 2:51pm by GingerPastry

chefmommyof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefmommyof2 Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

i looked thru the flower sticky already and there wasnt anything. Can anyone help me with making poppies? I need to make about 75 for cupcakes. I really dont have the money for a mold but i can get a cutter. is blossom better or something else. i am trying to make california poppies they are orange/yellow. thank you.
A

5 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 6

Hate to sound negative but poppies are awfully large for cupcakes. When I need to figure something out I do a search for a photo of that particular flower and do my best to copy it.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

Oh shoot, I can't remember exactly which book it was, but I recently saw a tutorial for a poppy (not sure what species) in a book I checked out of the library. I think it was "Flowers For Cakes" by Alison Proctor. Or maybe "Wild Flowers" by Alan Dunn. I know that's not much help, but my point is that you might go to your local library and look through their cake decorating books. That's what I did, and I found at least half a dozen great books that include gumpaste tutorials. HTH!

chefmommyof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefmommyof2 Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 6

thank you. i will look for that book.

i wanted to make california poppies. the state flower and they are not as big are regular red poppies

thanks

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 19 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 6

Here is a tutorial on poppy flowers. http://www.creative-cake-decorating.com/gumpaste-poppies.html

HTH,
Carol

GingerPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GingerPastry Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for this link! Very helpful. I am making the flowers for my wedding cake and have tried several other techniques but just wasn't getting the results I wanted. I cant wait to try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%