Making Rkt Objects In Advance, How Far Is Too Far?

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 19 May 2011 , 1:44pm by KJF1985

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making the cake for a baby shower in a couple weeks. Some parts will need to be made out of RKT. I obviously want to do these ahead of time but how far in advance is too far? I mean, I doubt anybody will end up eating it when there's cake but i'd rather them not bite into a stale treat if they try. Has anybody ever tasted a RKT a week old? Two weeks old? I definitely won't be starting yet. Any storage advice on this stuff (pre and post fondant, etc)? Thanks!

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:56am
post #2 of 3

RKTs last a long time, and it takes forever for them to go stale. Think nothing of making them a week or two in advance. Just seal them with something (royal icing or ganache are my go-tos) that will smooth out the surface and fondant away. You should cover the figures pretty soon after you make them, as this will help ensure the freshness of the RKTs, and then keep them away from the dust and light (especially if they've been colored) but not in an airtight container - maybe in a cardboard box.

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

RKTs last a long time, and it takes forever for them to go stale. Think nothing of making them a week or two in advance. Just seal them with something (royal icing or ganache are my go-tos) that will smooth out the surface and fondant away. You should cover the figures pretty soon after you make them, as this will help ensure the freshness of the RKTs, and then keep them away from the dust and light (especially if they've been colored) but not in an airtight container - maybe in a cardboard box.

Awesome! Thanks. I definitely knew airtight or in the refrigerator wouldn't work. Appreciate the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%