Graduation Tassel

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 21 May 2011 , 5:11pm by JackieDryden

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 15

Hi there!

I was thinking about using the fettuccine pasta roller on my Kitchen Aid to cut fondant tassels. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I'm worried about the fondant being too stiff.

14 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 15

I have used a multi-hole plate in a clay gun/fondant extruder. Works great.

Lizmybit Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks! I think I'll try the pasta roller and see what happens. It's worth a shot anyway!

ang2953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang2953 Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 15

I used a garlic press to make mine.

Lizmybit Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 15

Wow garlic press, interesting. Was it big enough?

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 15

How do you attatch the fringey stuff?

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 19 May 2011 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 15

I made one today! I used my fondant extruder to make spaghetti size strings. I cut them to size, then used one of them to wrap around the others. I attached it to the gumpaste cap with melted chocolate. Hth!

ang2953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang2953 Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 15

i would just keep adding fondant in the garlic press before i pushed it all out. Worked great.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 19 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 15

Ditto on the garlic press. I have an extruder as well, but tassels (and hair!) are easier with the garlic press.

TParenthack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TParenthack Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 15

Where can you buy a garlic press? I know this probably sounds crazy, but I have never used one, and I have been looking everywhere for a small handheld pasta press and can't find one. I am needing to do hair on little girls. icon_wink.gif

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 15

Most stores like Walmart and Target sell garlic presses in the kitchen gadgets isle. My local supermarket even has a decent kitchen gadget isle and carries them as well.

It might be a good idea to Google garlic press and look at a few photos so youll know what youre looking for, and recognize it when you come across one. icon_lol.gif

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 15

I use a playdoug toy thing and use modeling chocolate comes out perfect. email me if you want a pic. of the toy i've been using [email protected]

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 15

both great ideas. thanks. I would not have thought of either. I was trying to make some little graduation caps out of cookies and candies last week and then was trying to decide how to do the tassles. I finally ended up using a star tip and squeesed out a short tassle looking thing and let that be.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 15

There's an excellent tutorial here...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624541.html

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #15 of 15

I bought the clay extruder from Hobby Lobby and did one this week. Unfortunately it was for a 10in round cake, that had to be made into a grad. cap and when my fondant/gum paste mix started drying, it started breaking at the edge of the cap icon_sad.gif But I too have used a garlic press in the past! Glad I'm not the only one using weird items for fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%