Few Different Questions About Cake Balls...?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 18 May 2011 , 10:32pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

First off, I tried making some without doing much research and they turned out HORRIBLE! They were soo mushy and yucky! Tasted just like mushed up cake and icing, not appealing at all! Since they are so popular, I know I did something, possibly several, things wrong lol! I want to try again...I am baking today and will have some left over batter I would like to use! Can someone please tell me the secret to making them actually taste good?

7 replies
chrisviz Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 8

Personally I HATE the mushy cake balls, so I bought the BabyCakes cake pop maker... love it, you actually have cooked bites of cake instead of crumbs mushed together with frosting... I think they are about $30 retail, but you can keep your eyes open and get it on sale.. I did.

Kesha314 Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 8

if u don't want the mushy cake consistency go with the baby pop maker but my customers LUVVVV mines.the trick is less icing...it cuts the sweet down and makes the consisentcy less mushy. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 8

If you are going to add a binder then you need a drier cake crumb. Crumble up the cake you are going to use and let it dry out a bit for a day or two. Then mix it with your binder of choice, but only a little bit at a time until you get a mixture that sticks together.

If your cake is really moist to begin with you do not need a binder and can just crumble the cake up and form it into balls

Spuddysmom Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 8

I think texture and taste are nearly equal requirements for good ones. Most of the recipes I've seen use canned frosting and box mix, which probably is the most economical but I find the flavor nasty - personal preference - I just hate that chemically flavor in the frosting especially, but some folks like it, so go with what the client likes. For my own use I use scratch cake and icing. I also found the proportions of frosting to cake to be too heavy on the icing side. If you start with a moist cake, it takes very little icing to bind it together, sometimes none. Personally, I like the texture to feel like you are biting into a little moist cupcake, not a creamy/squishy truffle.

carmijok Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 8

The most popular thing we sold at the bakery I worked for was cakeballs. And they were merely cake trimmings that had been compressed and kneaded into a cookie dough-like consistency. No icing. They weren't as sweet as the others and they were very rich. We would smush and knead the cake again and again and really get it to where it could be easily formed. Then take a meatballer to portion out and then roll the little suckers until smooth. I don't like the ones that have icing mixed in. Way too sweet and I haven't tried the others that are just cake. HTH!

pianocat Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 8

I don't use icing, I don't like the mushy feel of it. My cake is moist to begin with and I might add a liquer or other small amount of liquid=but not bc.

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks ya'll! I do use the WASC method with french vanilla cake mix for my vanilla cake, but bc and all other cakes are scratch and all are very moist! I think I will try it tonight with just cake and then dip in chocolate....last minute birthday gift for my brother! (he came in to town TODAY with out telling anyone!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%