How Do I Make A Tiara Out Of Gum Paste?

Decorating By kikischo Updated 22 May 2011 , 4:59pm by jennifercullen

kikischo Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a tiara and wand out of gum paste tonight. If anyone can let me know how to or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated! I'd also like to know how to color/dust it.
Thank you!
kikischo

5 replies
Debi2 Posted 19 May 2011 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

If you have a hard time getting your "ropes" even when rolling, use the clay extruder....it works great and they all come out the same size that way. That's how I did the one in my photos on top of the pillow cakes.

Have fun! icon_smile.gif

jennifercullen Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 6

Could I just ask, on this topic, I have seen people wrap cling film around the glass or whatever they use to shape the tiara, but how do you get it off there? I've had a couple of little goes at making these and I never seem to be able to get them off in one piece!

Debi2 Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

When I made mine, I taped the pattern to my crisco container, then taped waxed paper over that. I only had a very small piece in the back break off, but it was easily repaired. I think the key is to not wrap the tiara too far around the can...just go far enough to make the shape look right. Hope that helps. I think it's like most other techniques....it just takes a little practice. You may have to make 2 or 3 of them to figure out the best way for you. Good luck.

jennifercullen Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, now you mention it I did wrap it quite far round. How long did you leave it to dry? I'm using fondant with gum tragacanth powder, I'm not sure how long it takes to get hard! And I think I get impatient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%