Coloring/painting Gum Paste

Decorating By ktelitecakes Updated 23 May 2011 , 6:10am by angeliaaki

ktelitecakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 9

HELP!!!! I am in need of some help, I just can not seem to get my coloring right. I don't have any problems with the light shades it is the dark ones that are giving me fits. How do you get that deep perfect red in fondant and gum paste. I colored soom gum paste last night to make some flowers for an upcoming cake order and no matter how much gel paste coloring I put in when I rolled it out it was a salmon color. So I thought I would paint it with red petal dust, it was more red but not that deep red I was looking for. I also tried painting it with a vodka and petal dust but it was making the petals drop some from the moisture. Please Help!!!!

8 replies
quietude Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 9

It may be the brand, I use Americolor and it works really well.

ktelitecakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 9

I use Wilton, could that be it?

TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 9

When painting you have to have a very light touch when it comes to using the dusts mixed with alcohols. Did you try dry brushing the petal dust on?

Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

Regardless of brand you do need to use loads of gel colouring to get a proper bright red. If you're making your own fondant/gumpaste you can put it in then, which allows you to reduce other wet ingredients accordingly so it doesn't end up too soft/sticky.

Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

For painting, try using rose spirits rather than vodka. Rose spirits has a very high alcohol content (about 95%) and dries fast. Vodka takes a LOT longer to dry, and yes, can cause some decorations to 'wilt'. Rose spirits is available from most cake decorating suppliers.

Or as TexasSugar suggested, you can brush petal dusts on dry (you can steam lightly to 'set' the dust and get rid of the powdery look if desired)

tbkimber Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 9

I add a TINY bit of black. SLOWLY add the black until you get the color you want.

ktelitecakes Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone, I am not sure what I would do without so much support! I think I got it. I painted them heavily with red petal dust and added a touch of black. They turned out the color I needed. I plan on trying the rose spirits suggested.

angeliaaki Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:10am
post #9 of 9

it took me a bottle and half of the wilton no taste red gel paste to get actual red. also when you let the fondant rest overnight, the color sets better and looks better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%