What Kind Of Knife Do I Use???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 18 May 2011 , 9:16pm by divinecc

Mikel79 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Cakers!

Sometimes when you let your cakes settle they will have a slight bulge in them. I am not talking about the filling bulge, but the actual cake might bulge out sometimes. The knife I am using just will not trim the cake. All it will do is pull the filling dam out. For one reason or another the blade sticks to the filling dam, but not the cake??

Other times I want to trim the cake so it is a complete 100% even circle shape or square shape cake. Do I use a knife that has visible serrated teeth on it? Do I use a blade that is just smooth but sharp??

I hope this makes sense to ya'll?? =)

Suggestions or tips are appreciated!


4 replies
DaniNicole Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 5

Serrated knives are best, from my experience (which isn't much, lol, but it has worked!)


matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 5

I use a 14 inch serrated bread knife. Often, Irun it under hot water. Frosting doesn't stick to hot.

Mikel79 Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you !

I will try running the knife under hot water next time



divinecc Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 5

I use a serrated bread knife as well but I am going to use a warm knife next time, I can't believe I haven't thought of that by now when trimming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%