How Do You Manage Big Orders? Do You Bake And Freeze?

Decorating By rearly Updated 19 May 2011 , 3:37am by yummy_in_my_tummy

rearly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rearly Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

I recently opened my own home based bakery and things have really taken off. I have 5 orders for next weekend but I not sure how I am going to pull it off being I am only one person.
What do other baker's do??? Do you bake and freeze or Bake on Monday and Tuesday, ice on Wednesday and decorate Thursday & Friday.
Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Rebecca

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 6

That's exactly how I do it..Bake Monday Tuesday...Make icing wednesday or start to assemble some cakes that require stacking...Decorate Thursday and sometimes friday..Everything goes out either friday afternoon or Saturday morning...

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 6

I personally freeze nothing, I bake and finish in rounds. Once the cake is cooled enough to finish it is at least crumb coated and if necessary put into my basement pantry (always cool, not cold) until I make the icing to finish.

I also know my limits and don't overtax my orders. It isn't easy to say no, and many times people will change the pick up to the night before to spread baking out just to get your product.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 6

I have recently found myself in the same boat! I spent all day monday and tuesday baking and making buttercream, wednesday made fondant and gum paste accents. I bake and freeze even if time isn't a factor. I have found it makes my cakes moister and denser and easier over all to work with. I double wrap them in plastic wrap and let them thaw completely before unwrapping.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:03am
post #5 of 6

I freeze my cakes all the time. Freeze them well wrapped in a few layers of plastic, and maybe some foil just for extra safety. Pull them out the day before you plan to frost, etc. so you don't have issues with condensation.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:37am
post #6 of 6

Yep, that's what I do too. I work full time and have my business on the side, so it's tough (not to mention exhausting) to do it all after work on Thursday & Friday evenings. The weekend before, usually the Sunday before, I bake and freeze. Make fillings, ganache, etc Monday or Tuesday, and then I stack, crumb coat and cover in fondant on the same night. Usually Thursday if it's a Friday pickup, or Friday if it's a Saturday pickup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%