Royal Icing. Eggs Vs Meringue Powder

Decorating By Cosima Updated 20 May 2011 , 3:46pm by LindaF144a

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:11am
post #1 of 5

I just made two large icing bags of RI using eggs. Is there any reason why I shouldn't decorate a cake with the RI made with eggs? Don't we use this to decorate edible cookies at it's fine?? Help please!!

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:24am
post #2 of 5

As long as the eggs you used were clean (no chook poo on the shell, no cracks, no blood specks in the egg) and handled correctly, then it's fine to use. Egg whites are actually very low risk - it's the fatty part of the egg (ie the yolk) that usually harbours salmonella, if present.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:55am
post #3 of 5

Depends what country you are from and whether salmonella is a problem with your egg supply.

USA - use pasterised egg whites or powders egg white unles you are very sure of you supplier ..

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:34am
post #4 of 5

I learned from Earlene Moore that RI with real egg whites is superior to RI using meringue powder. You can purchase egg whites in a carton that are pasturized.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I learned from Earlene Moore that RI with real egg whites is superior to RI using meringue powder. You can purchase egg whites in a carton that are pasturized.

Can you tell us more about what she said. I find I like the taste better. I also feel it is easier to work with, but that just might be me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%