Sister On Unprocessed Food Diet For Illness, Recipe Help!

Baking By keriofcakes Updated 19 May 2011 , 6:11am by sillywabbitz

keriofcakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:21am
post #1 of 6

My sister was recently diagnosed with lupus and one of the first things that was suggested to her was to eliminate processed foods from her diet and stick to all natural foods. This seems to help her tremendously! Well...foolish me, as a last minute idea I decided to whip up a small graduation cake for a family member and completely forgot about my sister's diet. I felt HORRIBLE at the family gathering because my sister couldn't have a bite of the dessert while everyone commented on how delicious it tasted. I would really love to make it up to her. (I'm making her daughter's birthday cake next month)

Does anyone have a good buttercream frosting recipe that would accommodate her diet? Is there such a thing as all natural fondant (I'm sure that's pushing it)?

Any thoughts or recipes anyone would like to share I would GREATLY appreciate (and so will my sister)!

5 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:36am
post #2 of 6

Do you have a clear definition of processed food? Does this mean she can not have refined sugar or white flour? You can use whole wheat flour or possibly almond flour. Sugar will be tough. I would use whipping cream for the frosting because you can control what goes into it. Technically I believe shortening is a processed food(not occurring in nature). You might be able to do a meringue frosting using raw sugar which would be yummy. Can she have butter? I hate to sound dumb but even sour cream is processed. It might be easier if you list the things you can not use and then people can help you come up with some options.

Evoir Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:40am
post #3 of 6

I would make an organic, unprocessed flour/sugar cake and decorate it with a honey/fruit glaze and whipped cream.

Butter, cream and raw sugar, honey - these things are not overly processed. Cake mixes, white sugar, white processed vegetable fat - all processed. You need to think outside the square and make something more based on fruit perhaps.

Off the top of my head, maybe an orange/citrus/poppyseed cake, with orange glaze and cream.

FromScratchSF Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:11am
post #4 of 6

Have you thought about doing a cheesecake? Making regular cake unprocessed is hard - organic unbleached flour does not work the same as cake flour - and unbleached cake flour is just as processed as regular flour. Using a basic cheesecake recipe you can use organic cream cheese, organic eggs, organic sugar, organic vanilla, etc. You can also make a very simple gooey "crust" by using candied nuts instead of graham crackers - then when you flip the cheesecake onto a plate it has a natural caramel nutty gooeyness. All gluten free, all organic, all natural and all unprocessed.

keriofcakes Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:23am
post #5 of 6

WOW those are some great suggestions!!!Thank you!!

In asking my sister about what she cannot eat she just said all processed foods, and all artificial colors and flavoring have all been removed from her diet (she has a tendency to be vague)

I'm just wondering if it's possible to do her daughter's birthday cake with these ingredients in mind...(her daughter wants a flip fop shaped cake). Maybe it would be easier to do something small for my sister in addition to the birthday cake???

sillywabbitz Posted 19 May 2011 , 6:11am
post #6 of 6

I would do a special cake or cupcakes for your sister. Especially if it's for a kids partyicon_smile.gif I love fresh whipped cream as frosting so I'm sure you could something yummy. You might google her illness and diet recommendations and find a list of things they recommend she not eaticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%