Coloring Fondant To Avoid Tearing

Baking By angeliaaki Updated 23 May 2011 , 12:36am by SarahL4683

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:04am
post #1 of 13

every time i make fondant and i need a big batch of colored fondant, i add the gel coloring to the melted marshmallows before kneading with the powdered sugar. but when its time to roll it out, it does not have the elasticity as white fondant does. it always ends up tearing and is very delicate. what am i doing wrong? i even tried coloring white fondant when it was time to use it and it was still tearing and lost its elasticity. please help! thank you!

12 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 13

Two things I have found... is that powdered color is better for fondant than gel color because it doesn't change the 'substance' of it by watering it down, and two, anytime you knead color in, the fondant usually needs to rest before you use it. It gets over worked by all of the kneading. Do you let it rest before you roll it out?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:31am
post #3 of 13

I, too, use powdered colors, but I combine them with gel. Wiltons is better when you need dense colors because the gel is more solid than Americolor.

Do you add glycerine to your fondant? It helps with elasticity.

angeliaaki Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 13

where do i find powdered color? yes, i always make the fondant the day before i need to use it so it rests for at least a day. how much glycerine would i need to add? i only use the wilton gel colors. i need to make a batch of navy blue fondant for friday so i should buy powdered color and use that with a little gel color and glycerine?

MacsMom Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliaaki

where do i find powdered color? yes, i always make the fondant the day before i need to use it so it rests for at least a day. how much glycerine would i need to add? i only use the wilton gel colors. i need to make a batch of navy blue fondant for friday so i should buy powdered color and use that with a little gel color and glycerine?

I have to buy mine online - countrykitchensweetart.com or globalsugarart.com We do have a specialty cake supply now, but everything is practically a 200% mark-up and I justify shipping costs by no tax and gas used.

If you have a Sur La Table, you can find it there.

For navy without powdered, just use a lot of royal blue and a little black.

angeliaaki Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #6 of 13

so i made the navy blue fondant with royal blue gel color and black gel color and it was still too fragile. its not smooth and strong like white fondant is....i don't know what else to do.

MacsMom Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:18am
post #7 of 13
Quote:

so i made the navy blue fondant with royal blue gel color and black gel color and it was still too fragile. its not smooth and strong like white fondant is....i don't know what else to do.

Knead in some piping gel and a little cornstarch...

angeliaaki Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:39am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

do i knead it in when its time for me to roll it out?

MacsMom Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes thumbs_up.gif

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes thumbs_up.gif

angeliaaki, please let me know how your fondant turns out for you. I'm constantly struggling with my colored MMF (whether I add the color to the melted MM or if I add it later after the fondant has rested)!! It's a absolute wreck every time! I'm about to give up on it all together. My most recent batch I colored with Americolor to try and get a OU red color and it was all but worthless. All I could use it for was to make a bead border icon_sad.gif I did cut an OU out of it but it broke into pieces! I need help!
TIA

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:02am
post #11 of 13

For red, start with pink; for black, start with brown or add cocoa.
Things I have added at various times: glycerin, corn syrup, glucose, buttercream (really, just a bit though).

Now I can add piping gel to the list. icon_smile.gif

I have found that it helps to heat it up. Over the course of a many colored cake, my microwave gets a lot of use.

angeliaaki Posted 22 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewordsoflife

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes thumbs_up.gif

angeliaaki, please let me know how your fondant turns out for you. I'm constantly struggling with my colored MMF (whether I add the color to the melted MM or if I add it later after the fondant has rested)!! It's a absolute wreck every time! I'm about to give up on it all together. My most recent batch I colored with Americolor to try and get a OU red color and it was all but worthless. All I could use it for was to make a bead border icon_sad.gif I did cut an OU out of it but it broke into pieces! I need help!
TIA

so this is what i tried yesterday. i made a batch of brown fondant three days ago and let it rest for 2 whole days. then i took the same amount of white fondant and mixed it with the brown and it made it more workable. obviously the brown wasnt as dark but the white didnt lighten it too much. it still looked good. im going to try the corn syrup next time as i didnt have any this time around.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 23 May 2011 , 12:36am
post #13 of 13

I used to have trouble with darker colors too! But I've found that corn starch usually fixes it. I made royal purple (like the color of the crown royal bag) MMF on Friday. Let it rest overnight and kneaded it yesterday, it was pretty soft so I kneaded a little more conf sugar in to it. Today I unwrapped it, kneaded it a bit, found it still wasn't quite right so I went right to my corn starch. Started with about a tbsp of cornstarch, and then added a bit more gradually while kneading. I'm not sure exactly how much I added, but I can say it was less than 1/4 cup. It worked great! I haven't tried the other tricks because corn starch seems to work for me recipe. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%