A Need Order

Decorating By mommakristin Updated 18 May 2011 , 3:31am by tryingcake

mommakristin Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #1 of 6

Have you ever had a customer email you multiple times a day asking you how you plan on doing their cake??

I took an order for a Congratulations cake. It's a for a coach who is getting the head coach job at a new school. The order consists of a sheet cake with a football coming out of the cake and a helmet sitting on top of the cake. She wants buttercream on the sheet cake and fondant covered helmet and football.

That's all fine and good... But so far this woman has emailed me 10 times just today asking me how I envision the cake to look. How I plan on doing the football. How are the endzones going to look... How I plan on doing the helmet. The school colors are gold and navy. So she wants to know how I plan on making gold.. etc.... She's even emailed me to tell me how excited she was. Yesterday her email said "is it time yet"???

I finally just told her that I will figure out the endzones when I start to work on her cake... but that it will look awesome..

Good grief! I have other orders ahead of her, 2 teens, and a full time job.... I am soooo regretting taking this order....

5 replies
preciouspjs Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 6

I sometimes draw up my idea just to give them a visual.

sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 6

Lol I wonder if she's a hobby caker?
She might just be so excited and curious how the cake is going to be done. I've learned in my regular job not to be too available via email. The quicker I respond and the more helpful I am the needier they become. So for non-priority emails I wait a day or two ...you've got to train those customersicon_wink.gif

tesso Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 6

its good to sketch and send when you can, as long as you can acomplish what you sketch icon_smile.gif but it sounds to me like she is just really excited to SEE the cake she has visualized in her head. she's probably got all things ready to go for the party and she will be anxious until the final element (the cake) will arrive.

she's not doubting you, she's probably used to having to do everything herself if she wants it done. i know how that is, and can relate.

just reassure her that you will have a wonderful cake for her.

mommakristin Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:47am
post #5 of 6

I do normally give them a rough draft drawing. This customer actually emailed me a picture of a cake she wants. So I didn't do a drawing for her. I guess it was my mistake for assuming if she gave me a picture that she would see how the cake was going to look since it was her picture. I know from now on that they will get a drawing whether they give me a pic or not! LOL

I need to start being less "available". LOL
I am just trained by my day job to return emails ASAP as if they were all emergencies. I don't even think before I am emailing people back even when it comes to cakes.

tryingcake Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

I don't have that issue with cake customers to much. Catering customers - OMG! Several times a day for days after hiring me and then again the week before the event. I have actually had to tell a customer - if you call me again, I will be late showing up. I cannot cook and answer the phone every few minutes. I told her this in light humor -but she must have known I mean it. The calls stopped - and she was still happy to see me when I showed up (on time).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%