Lounge By TotallyBaked Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 1:19am by AnnieCahill

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:12am
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonte

. and the store don't actually give you the money back. but people use the overage to buy other things, such a fresh meat or produce.

Actually my sister in law totally was handed over .50 cents several times after the end of her shopping trip. So yes a lot of stores actually hand the money over.

i don't know where you live but they don't do that where im from. coupons actually say "no cash value" its not money so there is no reason for a stor to give you any money back.

i agree most of these people are excessive! does anyone really need 200 bottles of mustard? i mean isn't it a waste of money if you are spending it on things you don't need? i think maybe it starts as wanting to save money and blossoms into full blow shopping addiction

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:16am
post #32 of 57

They do that at my walmart as well. Its their new policy. Can be found on the walmartstores website icon_smile.gif

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:42am
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

They do that at my walmart as well. Its their new policy. Can be found on the walmartstores website icon_smile.gif

your walmart gives back cash? i think im shopping at the wrong places!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:18am
post #34 of 57

I am overjoyed to see so many on here 'paying it forward' with their generous sharing! thumbs_up.gif You are all inspiring! (And the "guy who went fishing" story made me cry!)

After the intial shows that showed nothing but organized hoarders, I noticed the last few shows have been showing of the folks who donate (big applause to the guy who used his coupons and used 100% of his purchases to put together packets of items to send to Iraq!) I wonder if these shows were already in the mix or if they were a reaction to the negative feedback that was flying all over facebook and the internet?

re: lumping all couponers together, that's not the first time I 've heard that complaint. saw on another forum a couponer complaining that while she has been using coupons for years at her grocery, since this show came on, the cashiers are NOW asking her if she's "one of THOSE coupon ladies".

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:33am
post #35 of 57

Thank you for your reply Indydebi. It's just like anything else... a few crazy people trying to get one over on the system ruins it for everyone. Just a few days a go I went into the store with coupons printed off my computer and was told the store no longer takes them because 1 guy made 30 copies of a coupon to try and get more items for free. So he's killed it for all the couponers in the area. Not all couponers are shelf-clearing hoarders and not all brides that walk into a bakery are bridezillas. They are just the ones that everyone remembers.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:55am
post #36 of 57

I use coupons all the time, and regularly save 50% off the original total on my groceries. We use the food that I buy, too, I don't have a huge room full of toothpaste.

The donations are one way that the extreme couponers use the coupons to their advantage. If you get something for free, you can still donate it and claim the retail value as your tax deduction, so it ends up benefitting your bottom line. It's not an entirely selfless act, but hey, why not?

I used to live near two brand-new stores that were having a price war with each other. They both doubled coupons up to $1 every day, matched each other's sales prices, and had occasional triple coupon days. That's the only way to really be able to do what they do on tv.

I also don't steal papers from in front of foreclosed houses like that one woman, or pay off the newspaper delivery guy for extra coupons. BUT...once you have a coupon, if the store takes it and you're following their guidelines, then they have nothing to complain about.

Also, in Brides magazine every month they have a 20% off your entire regular priced purchase at Michael's, so if you buy everything you need at once that can save a lot.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 11:56am
post #37 of 57

Ha!Ha! ..I did have to chuckle seeing that young couple with a seprate bedroom stocked to the roof with free items..all shelved and catogorized...I couldn't be bothered to spend 25 hours a week clipping coupns..Most of us hate the grocery store on a good day but I guess it is a form of addiction.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:07pm
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

While I dont get 4000 boxes of diapers, I do stock up on them even tho I dont use them, same with pet food. And then, I donate them icon_smile.gif

Thanks for donating to those who need! thumbs_up.gif The woman on the show laughed about "I don't even have any kids! But when I DO have kids, I'll be prepared!" which led me to believe she had no intention of donating.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:37pm
post #39 of 57

I have to say the show amazed me, and disturbed me. On one hand, I say good for them, on the other, it bothers me that they are wasting a lot of the stuff. 1500 tubes of toothpaste, really? The women who buys the sleep-aid for no reason. I know - I know - it pays her to buy it, But I can hear my Mother and Grandmother, in my head, telling me not to waste stuff. I did like the Mom who feeds her son's friends - that was good!

TotallyBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyBaked Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #40 of 57

Wow! Thanks for alllllll the feedback, friends (: I've got to travel over an hour to the nearest grocery store that doubles and triples in my area, so I save up that trip for once or twice a month. As far as clipping, I get 6 copies of the Sunday Dallas paper, file entire coupon circular by date, and rely on couponmom.com to tell me what's the best savings. Without that, I'd be helpless in this area! Thanks so much, again, for all the great responses... And I agree, the show is a little 'Organized Hoarder' for me, but it was definitely inspiration as to how to get started!

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:23pm
post #41 of 57

afullcup.com is also amazing with coupons and such and actually prefer it over coupon mom... you guys should check it out

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:27pm
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_willford

Yeah, show me how to meat for that cheap and I may find a few hours to hunt down those deals. My boys can eat! I have started actually paying attention to coupons, and will print them out sometimes. But I find that unless it's on sale and I have a coupon, I am not likely to get it cheaper than just buying store brands.

I feel this way too. it's more expensive for me to buy stuff with a coupon than the store brand. I did pick up some tips from the show like combining store sales with coupons but it's too much hassle for us

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #43 of 57

Indys, Yes thats what made us want to help him. He would go look for construction work or any work daily and when he saw it was gettng late, he would go fish before it got late and he feed his family fish every single day for 2wks, there was nothing else to go with the fish.

He has kids and you know they dont know the difference as to why the neighbor kid can have pop tarts, and cereal, or pizza for that matter. So we saw he was trying, not just sitting around.

So we decided to help him for a month of groceries from planned meals, to sweets for his boys. We got them almost free or next to nothing. It wasnt gonna kill us, this is WHY WE DO THIS. Now in a month, if he is still out of work, then we are still here right next door.

He has come over offered to change our oil in our vehicles, mow the lawn and so on. He even asked if we liked fish!!! He has more in his freezer, so he gave us fish. PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE, LIKE IT USE TO BE BACK IN THE DAYS....THE GOOD SIMPLE LIFE.

My Michaels coupons I use for cake items, or craft things for my grand kids, coloring items, drawing, puzzles, etc...thats another item I buy on sale or clearance..TOYS for christmas and birthdays. I bought those huge Grave digger trucks that cost normally 37.00 on clearance for 6.00 each. and I just sent a birthday gift off to my grandson. Wink!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:53pm
post #44 of 57

Southernsavers.com is a great site. She lists a good variety of store circulars every week, tells you what coupons are out there for each item, and links to any printable coupons available. You can click a check box beside the items you want to buy, then create a shopping list straight from that. I absolutely love it.

SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #45 of 57

I whole heartedly agree with indydebi! My friend and I were watching Extreme Couponing last night in a mixture of disgust and awe (usually my reaction to this show, it's like a train wreck, I can't help but watch even though I don't want to!) because a great deal of these people ARE organized hoarders! I really enjoyed the Minister who would buy the goods and donate the majority of them to those who were in need. I WISH they would have crazy coupons on cake flour and items like that but I'm not holding my breath icon_smile.gif The people who buy 200 cans of soup and whatnot and just keep them in their house...what about the expiration dates? I suppose to a certain extent I can see bulking up on toilet paper or razors (razors are expensive dangit!) but the majority of the items I just don't understand. It must just be a euphoric rush for these people. For me, I get a rush out of showing horses and baking cakes. To each their own I suppose but with all the time that goes into couponing, there seems to be no time for an actual job.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #46 of 57

REALLY? Well thats not right indydebi! I agree with you there!

Also in the states, you can donate your EXPIRED coupons to the troops over seas icon_smile.gif So even if you dont coupon, you can always collect them, and send them over icon_biggrin.gif

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:08pm
post #47 of 57

To answer the OP, I rarely find cake-related coupons, but I did just get (20) .50 off Imperial Powdered sugar coupons for $2.44 on ebay.

My local grocery store sells it for $1.79 and doubles coupons, so I can get it for .79!

However, I do not plan on walking into the store and clearing out the shelf! I would buy a few bags a week, but the coupons expire in a couple of weeks, so I will have the grocery store manager order 20 extra and when they come in, I will go and get them. Also....I could easily have bought 40...60...80 coupons, but that is more than I could reasonably use anytime in the near future.

cbiscuit85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbiscuit85 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #48 of 57

What I don't like about coupons, especially for food, is that they are almost all for highly processed foods. It makes sense because how could a company make a coupon for say, meat, or dairy? I have found a coupon here and there for brand name eggs or butter, but that is it.
Especially since I have a gluten allergy, I cannot eat much processed food because so much has wheat in it.

The best savings I get aren't from coupons, but from store sales - especially the stores that have loyalty cards. Our local grocery store chain once had Land O' Lakes butter on sale for $2 a pound! You could only buy 2 per trip to the store but I made several trips and had others buying for me while the sale was on for a couple days.

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #49 of 57

There are lots of meat, dairy and produce coupons out there cbiscuit. They are just a little harder to come by. I usually pay for those items with any overage from the store. And I love the holiday-based store sales. That's when I stock up.

ilovefondant777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovefondant777 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:15pm
post #50 of 57

Go and check out some of the coupon websites, they tell you where and how to get coupons for baking supplies. The website also tells you the best times to go and get maximum savings! So heres an example: pumkin pie is popular in the months of November-December, so say you want canned pumkin and it normally cost's $2.50 through the off peak months, but in November-December it normally and always goes on sale for 0.50cents off, then if you have a coupon from the manufacter of that brand or a store coupon for 0.50cents then you would pay $1.05, I think thats a good deal and if you had a coupon for everything it takes to bake your cake then you are saving some doughicon_smile.gif Hope this helps

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:20pm
post #51 of 57

''''''''''''How ironic that this show follows the show "hoarders". It's just another form of addiction, but they are organized about it.''''''''''''

Yes, how ironic! I actually have never watched the coupon program but then as a single senior citizen what am I going to do with 1,000 boxes of diapers or tubes of toothpaste?!?!?

Yes,I see I could donate them but I just don't want to put that much work into doing such crazy things.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:56pm
post #52 of 57

hey guys, i know this not quite couponing but kroger had a sale on cake mix $.89. I went to walmart and they price matched it. just letting you know

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:39pm
post #53 of 57

Just an update on my "Extreme" experience:

My local Brookshire Bros sells the 1lb boxes of powdered sugar for $1.09, or 20 boxes for $21.80.
They doubled my $.50 coupons, so I only paid .09 each!

I got 20 1lb. boxes of Imperial Powdered sugar for $1.80. When you add in the $2.44 I paid for the coupons, total cost $4.24!

Bottom line, I saved $17.56 on something I would have had to buy anyway! icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 7:31pm
post #54 of 57

The part of this that a lot of you are not seeing is more than just buying stuff to "hoard" it. A lot of times, these people are stockpiling to re-sell. They are getting this stuff for next to nothing and then have yard sales where they sell this stuff and make money on it. Look up stockpiling sales. Trust me, I know people who do it.

I don't really do coupon stuff, but back in November I was hitting up the papers and Land O Lakes for their coupons. I saved over $20 on butter by buying it on sale with coupons for my wedding cake. I'm glad I did at over $4 a box!

costumeczar Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:39pm
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

The part of this that a lot of you are not seeing is more than just buying stuff to "hoard" it. A lot of times, these people are stockpiling to re-sell. They are getting this stuff for next to nothing and then have yard sales where they sell this stuff and make money on it. Look up stockpiling sales. Trust me, I know people who do it.

!

Very interesting! I knew about donating stuff, but not the reselling. Now you have me curious, I'm going to go look up stockpiling sales.

costumeczar Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 11:58pm
post #56 of 57

Wow! That's big business, apparently. icon_eek.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #57 of 57

Yep! You can make a lot of money on that stuff if you do it right. I would never do it, but to each his own!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%