Help!! Cake Bulging, Not Icing!!

Decorating By paula0712 Updated 19 May 2011 , 1:28am by CiNoRi

paula0712 Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have just baked and filled a 12x12 cake 4" high... I am doing Leah_s' method of using a ceramic tile to settle it and the bottom edge of the bottom cake is bulging - NOT the middle icing bulge!! It's like the cake is too soft on the inside of the cooked edge. What should I do?

7 replies
CiNoRi Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 8

Did you let them cool completely?

Tile might be too heavy...

or the bottom tier didn't get cooked enough. That's my thoughts. Good luck!!

paula0712 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 8

hmmm I let them cool for a few hours each. They were both baked all the way through and I'm using just a very thin 12x12 tile.... This is the first time I've tried the "tile trick". Usually I fill my cakes, crumb coat them then freeze them and then let them thaw overnight before I put fondant on them. This time I didn't have enough room in my freezer so I thought I would try this.

Forgot to ask: It's been nearly 4 hours now - can I take the tile off or is it better to leave it overnight?

CiNoRi Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 8

sorry didn't see your response till now... what did you end up doing? Did taking the tile off help?

LindaF144a Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 8

Did you wrap it tightly so that it won't collapse? IMO, if you don't wrap it, it won't hold its shape. I always wrap it.
Possibly the tile is a bit too heavy for the cake, just a guess.

CiNoRi Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Did you wrap it tightly so that it won't collapse? IMO, if you don't wrap it, it won't hold its shape. I always wrap it.
Possibly the tile is a bit too heavy for the cake, just a guess.

Curious how do you wrap yours?

LindaF144a Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8

I wrap it around the the outside like you would wrap a ace bandage around you leg with Saran Wrap and then lap the extra over the top. Then place the tile on top.

CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #8 of 8

i will have to try that a try!! I usually cover it with plastic and remove most of the air possible. Why have i not thought to try this too!?!?! thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%