Help!! Cake Bulging, Not Icing!!

Decorating By paula0712 Updated 19 May 2011 , 1:28am by CiNoRi

paula0712  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have just baked and filled a 12x12 cake 4" high... I am doing Leah_s' method of using a ceramic tile to settle it and the bottom edge of the bottom cake is bulging - NOT the middle icing bulge!! It's like the cake is too soft on the inside of the cooked edge. What should I do?

7 replies
 CiNoRi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 8

Did you let them cool completely?

Tile might be too heavy...

or the bottom tier didn't get cooked enough. That's my thoughts. Good luck!!

paula0712  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 8

hmmm I let them cool for a few hours each. They were both baked all the way through and I'm using just a very thin 12x12 tile.... This is the first time I've tried the "tile trick". Usually I fill my cakes, crumb coat them then freeze them and then let them thaw overnight before I put fondant on them. This time I didn't have enough room in my freezer so I thought I would try this.

Forgot to ask: It's been nearly 4 hours now - can I take the tile off or is it better to leave it overnight?

CiNoRi Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 8

sorry didn't see your response till now... what did you end up doing? Did taking the tile off help?

LindaF144a  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 8

Did you wrap it tightly so that it won't collapse? IMO, if you don't wrap it, it won't hold its shape. I always wrap it.
Possibly the tile is a bit too heavy for the cake, just a guess.

CiNoRi Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Did you wrap it tightly so that it won't collapse? IMO, if you don't wrap it, it won't hold its shape. I always wrap it.
Possibly the tile is a bit too heavy for the cake, just a guess.

Curious how do you wrap yours?

LindaF144a  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8

I wrap it around the the outside like you would wrap a ace bandage around you leg with Saran Wrap and then lap the extra over the top. Then place the tile on top.

CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #8 of 8

i will have to try that a try!! I usually cover it with plastic and remove most of the air possible. Why have i not thought to try this too!?!?! thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%