Liners Pulling Away From Cupcakes...help Please

Baking By coleslawcat Updated 18 May 2011 , 1:04pm by kimboann

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 17 May 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 12

I don't understand why my cupcake liners started pulling away from my cupcakes. This is a new problem for me. Up until the last month or so this never happened. Now it happens with every batch I make. I've used different types of liners and different recipes and it happens with all of them. I have not changed my pans. I do have a new oven, but I use an oven thermometer so it's not a temperature issue. I bake gluten free only, so it's possible it's related to that, but I was baking gluten free before too and I haven't had this problem until recently.

Does anyone have experience with this and know how to stop it?
Thanks,
Karen

11 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 12

Unfortunately, I can't remember what blog I read this on, but you could try decreasing the chemical leavener (baking powder or baking soda) in the recipe by 1/3. This has helped me tremendously with preventing liners from separating from cupcakes.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:31am
post #3 of 12

Bake your cupcakes at 325 degrees and take them out of the pan soon.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 12

Take them out of the pan right away when they come out of the oven and put them on cooling racks

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #5 of 12

Reynolds and Wilton white liners are the best for me for not pulling away

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #6 of 12

I forgot to add that I bake my cupcakes at 375F. That along with decreasing the chemical leavener by a 1/3 has been a successful method for me.

kimboann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimboann Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:58am
post #7 of 12

I'm having the same problem but it doesn't happen until the next day! So weird!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #8 of 12

I've only had this happen when I did not take the cupcakes out right away and/or my kitchen was hot and the heat caused the liners to pull away.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:23am
post #9 of 12

Kimboann,
Are you storing your cupcakes in an airtight container? If so this can cause moisture to release into the liners and they may pull away. Most people store in a bakery box or loosely covered. Also if you store them before they are 100% cooled you can have the same problem.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:35am
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try removing them from the pan immediately rather than allowing them to start cooling in the pan. If that doesn't work I'll try decreasing the leavening. I a bit hesitant to do that since these are gluten free and already feel like a science experiment gone awry.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:58am
post #11 of 12

Grease proof liners which are more expensive, are your best bet. Regular or cheap paper liners have a tendency to shrink from the cupcake upon cooling.
Remove the cupcakes from the pan right away as suggested. They accumulate moisture sitting in the pan and that contributes to the liners releasing from the cupcake.

Don't put your cupcakes in a closed container such as a cupcake cadie or cake container, until they are fully cooled.

Fill your cupcake pans 3/4 full instead of 1/2. It will help keep the liners from shrinking.

Above suggestions are from a fellow baker friend, and they've helped me a lot.

kimboann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimboann Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 12

sillywabbitz~ Now that you mention it I did store them in a container. I didn't seal it but it may have still had too much moisture. Thanks for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%