Square Buttercream Wedding Cake Nightmares

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 18 May 2011 , 9:42am by sweettreat101

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 14

I have my first 4 tiered buttercream wedding cake in a month. I am scared to death about the corners. I have done many a sheet cake, but somehow that is not comforting enough. Does anybody have any solid advice for square corners on a buttercream wedding cake?

13 replies
Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 14

I just used the "high density roller" technique that I read about on here. Gosh I can't remember the ladies name that originated it. I did it on a round and it really did come out crisp and smooth but I don't know if it would help on square corners???? Good luck. Square tierd cakes are my favorite!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 14

A really hot knife and patience. It also helps if the cake pan you use has sharp corners.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 14

I make a dam with thickened buttercream before filling my cakes and so I use this same stiffened buttercream on the corners of my cakes as well. Just pipe a stripe from bottom to top. It will crust some while the cake is settling and then when you are ready to frost the cake it gives you something to work against when smoothing. I use an icer tip and then a spatula and finally a bench scraper. Hope this helps. I just thought of doing it this way after being in a home that had "bumper guards" on the walls of their cased openings. Works well for me.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 14

I use the viva method and when I put the paper towel down on the cake I also use my fondants smoother on it, ity is usuall wide enough and if I really need something bigger I have a metal ruler that I use in my caking suff that is larger, and I run it under hot water. If you don't have acess to that tan a large back of a knife will work too. THT

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 14

Pistachio has it right. Start with good square corners, and then keep them straight. My Magic Line pans are a MUST HAVE for me in order to get square corners. I use Sharon Zambito's method of icing/smoothing.

Build up the corners with lots of icing, and then, using the edge of the cake board as a guide, I use a HOT bench scraper and scrape away from me, removing a little icing at a time until I bring the icing depth even with the cake board. Hope that makes sense! There is an article here on CC I think that shows how this is done. Also, in her buttercream dvd, Sharon shows this method.

I used to be too intimidated to do squares/sheets, but since learning this method, I do them without fear, haha!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 14

I find that the consistency of the icing really makes a difference for sharp edges. You want the icing stiff but obviously not too stiff. Sharon Zambito really explains the icing technique well in her DVD, Perfecting the Art of Buttercream - it's well worth the investment!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 14

I agree with cherrycakes. Sharon's DVD is worth the investment. Square cakes (and sheet cakes) are much easier to do for me with her techniques.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 14

I need to invest in her dvds, I have read so many good comments on them.

inspiredbymom Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 14

I actually have Boxes and Bows, Flawless Fondant, Perfecting the Art of Buttercream, Sheet Cake Secrets, Sweet Luxuries, Back to Basics......all worth every penny. Another fantastic sugar artist is Jennifer Dontz. I have The Easy & Tasty Way to Perfect Fondant (she makes the BEST tasting fondant I've tried) and Fun with Fondant Frills. Again....worth every penny. Living in an area where the closet "town" has 600 people it is the only way to get a great "cake education" besides CC. My ability and confidence has come a long way since finding these two "teachers" and CC. I'm not saying that I still don't stress over a project but not as much as I used too!

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for the advice! I like the stiffened buttercream corner idea and the hot bench scraper idea too. I dont get on here much anymore but it sure is nice to see the advice is still as great as ever

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 14

I have heard of Sharon's dvd's, but I use IMBC for most of my cakes. Do you guys think her method works with any icing (I use a hot bench scraper to smooth my buttercream already)? I would love to get them, I only hear positive words about them, but don't want to get them if they can't help me, lol...

inspiredbymom Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 14

I don't use IMBC but I have actually watched tutorials on how to make it and use it. I could only assume that her techniques would work because she does use a hot bench scraper in her methods. The other DVD's are leaning towards fondant work and designs. Her butter cream and sheet cake ones are not mostly fondant, just a few accent pieces. Gee, does that make sense??? It's hard to explain if you haven't seen them. She does have You Tube clips of her videos. That may help make a better decision! icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:42am
post #14 of 14

Have you tried this method I have heard great things about it. I personally haven't tried it yet but I intend to and soon. http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%