Royal Icing Tiara - I Cannot Get It To Work

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 23 May 2011 , 8:27pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 22

And by work I mean, not break the instant I touch it.

Are they really that fragile?

Any tips on how to make one and not break it while getting it off the wax paper?

21 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 22

Once you make it, let it dry and re apply the coat again, tracing it over and over in each step let it dry...this thickness it up and makes it firmer, easier to work with.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 22

What size tip are you using?

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 22

I have made few now....always with a breakages! This was by far the best attempt:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2038056

I used the tutorial here and learnt it takes alot of patience! I also made 2 so i had a back-up plan. Trace over your template as many times as you are comfortable with, I used a thin tip and covered this 4 times, leaving 3-4hours between each coat.
Then don't touch it! I went wrong a few times because i couldnt wait to peel it off the bottle/paper and the thing cracked all over the place.... if you can leave it 2 days to dry completely before peeling it away thats best. Chances are it will still break but not be so severe... this one broke! Just re-glue from behind with a dot more RI.
HTH
Sam
xxx

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 22

Mine took 3 attempts but was only one layer. I used tip 3 or 4. For the last one, I actually piped it on parchment paper rather than wax. Dried with the can laying on side rather than standing up. Practically slid off the parchment.

If you want a silver tiara, pipe it in grey and then dust with luster dust. Painting it with a liqid solution weakens the RI (b/c the liquid melts it) even if you let it re-dry/harden.

If you pipe on wax paper, peel sloooooooooooooowly and at an angle.

Silviascakeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silviascakeart Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 22

Hi icon_smile.gif I just made one last month. First use plastic wrap instead of wax paper and let it dry over nite. Intricate patterns aren't as easy to use, so keep the pattern simple. Use a 4 or 5 tip size over a #2 tip.
You should always make at least 2 crowns, because these are very fragile. Make sure your roylal Icing is a little on the thicker side not thin. That will help alot. These do come out really nice once you get the hang of it.

kristiemarie Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 22

I'll try the parchment paper. And also, I think I was using a 2? I'd have to look. Shoot I can't remember! Maybe that's why...the tip I'm using is just too small!

I did three layers and it still broke! I left it to dry after each application and then also for another 24 hours after that. I also dried it with the bottle on it's side, not standing up.

I am going to try this AGAIN tonight with a bigger tip.

Thanks all!!!!

kristiemarie Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 22

Oh and that was the other thing....maybe I just took it off too soon. It seemed like 24 hours would be enough and it felt dry but maybe not!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 22

Kristie, I've made a few and yes, they are crazy-fragile. I've found that I have the best luck when I do the tiara in at least 3 steps. I use wax paper taped over my pattern, as usual. But, the first step is to pipe RI over the pattern just using lines. I let that dry for 24 hrs, then go over the pattern again, making it two layers deep. Let that dry for 24 hours. Then, to add interest, I go back over the tiara piping dots instead of lines. The two layers of lines give it strength, and the dots give it character. Let it dry for at least 24 hrs. Peel the paper away verrrrry carrrrrefully.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1443356

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 22

Why use Royal Icing at all? I use white chocolate melts. Just fill a small parchment bag, cut off tip (no metal tip necessary).

1 - Draw or copy your pattern onto parchment paper.
2 - Prop a large can on its side and make sure it won't rock by securing the sides.
3 - Pipe the design using the melted chocolate - MOST IMPORTANTLY, MAKE SURE ALL LINES/DESIGNS CONNECT.
4 - Allow it to set just long enough so it won't run and then place over the can to get the curvature.
5 - It will dry quickly and will be much more durable than RI

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 22

Huh. I just went back and looked at my photos, I used an oval tip for the tiara which I found at a local cake shop. I like to buy odd tips and play with then to see what they do. It would probably translate into a 5 or 6 tip.

kristiemarie Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:51pm
post #12 of 22

Ok, so I tried again last night using a 5 tip. It seems a little too big so maybe a 4? However, it worked much better in terms of it looking better. And it being thicker will of course, lend itself to holding up better.

Will post when I take it off the paper....tomorrow. I am waiting this one out!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 May 2011 , 5:10am
post #13 of 22

Cant wait to see it! Good luck and WAIT IT OUT!!!! lol

kristiemarie Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 22

Well, I waited until TODAY and will try to get it airbrushed and decorated tonight. Will post pictures as soon as it's done. icon_smile.gif Yeah!

kristiemarie Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:49am
post #15 of 22

Done and in my photos! I think it turned out pretty nice!! Thanks all!!!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:14am
post #16 of 22

Kristiemarie, I went to a Day o f Sharing recently and a lady there that did a demonstration for string work said that you should always do the back of your piece too. This was to add extra strength. I realize that doing the back of a curved piece might be more of a challenge, but you could maybe try it doing a small section at a time on the back of the one you have made or practice that idea on another piece some other time. Good luck, I hope this one works out for you. icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:28pm
post #17 of 22

It totally worked out. I was using too small a tip. Once I made the tip bigger, it made it strong enough to touch.

icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 22

What size were you using to begin with? What size did you go to?

kristiemarie Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:50pm
post #19 of 22

I was using a 2 and on this one I used a 5.

ToTheMax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToTheMax Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:35pm
post #20 of 22

I've done several of these with success. Always make two. I use wax paper over my design but I use the cardboard Quaker Oats can. I cut the metal rim off so the tiara will slide. I tape the design and waxed paper on the can about a 1/2"-1" from the bottom. I pipe twice. But I do it close to the bottom of the "can"I then place it in a cake pan with soft paper towel on bottem and place in safe place to dry. HERE IS HOW I KNOW IT IS DRY. The tiara will slide down the can once it is completly dry. No worry about peeling any paper away. Good luck. Hope this works for you. Can take up to 3 days but I haven't had to peel at all.

kristiemarie Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 22

Yup tothemax, i did find that if it's dry it slides right off!

kristiemarie Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:27pm
post #22 of 22

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%