Does Ganache Spoil? Advice Needed For Tuxedo Cake

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 18 May 2011 , 8:08am by LisaPeps

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 3

Hello! I am making a wedding cake in July that will be covered in fondant and then there will be ganache poured on top of each tier (tuxedo cake). Here's my problem-I have to transport the cake by car about six hours away (I have air conditioning in my car.) Ideally, I'd like to fully assemble the cake, put it in my cake safe, and drive it to my friend's house where I will be staying. Once I get to my friend's house, I would bring the cake inside overnight, and then deliver the cake the next day.

I think my plan is do-able, but I am worried about the ganache. Will it spoil by sitting out so long? Will it melt during the car ride? (I will have my ac on full blast the entire time.) Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:40am
post #2 of 3

Might depend on where you live and how hot it gets. Where I am that would be no problem, as long as the A/C was cranked constantly in the car, and A/C was going in the house. The shelf life out of dark ganache out of refrigeration is pretty good...for some reason if people have trouble with ganache keeping, then it's usually white ganache they have a problem with. You can also use long life cream in ganache, which means it has already been heat-treated to store at room temperature.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:08am
post #3 of 3

Ganache won't spoil from sitting out, it can last a fair few days at room temp. Ganache will have a similar melting point to the chocolate used, so long as it doesn't go above 90F you should be good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%