Making A Graduation Cap

Decorating By Terry11621 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 5:38pm by Karen421

Terry11621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terry11621 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 14

Is the top of a graduation cap of a cake make out of gumpaste or pastillage?

13 replies
luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 14

I made mine with a mixture of gum paste and fondant.... more gum paste though since I wanted it hard enough so the ends will stay straight.

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for asking this question cause I needed to know too!!! Do you do the base as cake or are you making the entire thing as gumpaste? I thought about doing the mini wonder mold as the base but wasnt sure if this was the best method.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 14

So glad you asked this question, I needed to know also, for a cake I have due late May.

CC'ers are absolutely great!!!! Thanks everyone!

ashleyandben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandben Posted 17 May 2011 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 14

I made the top of the cap out of gumpaste to ensure it dries straight and won't sag. The base of the cap I use half of a syrofoam ball and cover in fondant.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 14

If you look at my last pic i made a small grad cap with a mini wonder mold but i made it out of rice crispies instead of baking a small cake i filled it with crispies and popped it out. for the top i put fondant over cardboard. hth

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 14

I have made two graduation caps.

For both I used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant for the mortarboard and allowed it to dry for at least a few days. I had to flip it over a few times to allow both sides to dry. You could use only gumpaste.

For the cap, I have done it two ways.
-For the pink/purple cake in my photos I used a cake made from a mini wondermold pan. The mortarboard was attached with buttercream.
-For the pink/black cake in my photos I used the 50/50 and formed it over the bottom of the wondermold pan, trimmed the bottom to level and allowed it to dry. I did not use 100% gumpaste because I was afraid it would shrink and crack over the mold. I dusted the pan with powdered sugar to make sure the 50/50 did not stick. The mortarboard was attached with melted chocolate.

Personally I prefer the cap and board made from fondant/gumpaste. I just think it looks cleaner.

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 14

I just made one and I used gumpaste. It hardens really well. Then I brushed the top with 50/50 vodka and light karo syrup which made it look really shiny! Loved the way it turned out!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 May 2011 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 14

I used a Pyrex bowl to make the cap and 50/50 fondant - gum paste for the mortar board. You can use cardboard covered with 50/50 also, just make sure you cover the bottom too. icon_biggrin.gif

Terry11621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terry11621 Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 14

Many thanks to all for all your responses. I really appreciate it.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 14

We made the base of the cap with half of a ball pan. That was covered with fondant. The brim was fondant/gumpaste mixture dried for several days!

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:44am
post #12 of 14

Guess i shoulda poured through the forum before i posted.
Thanks everyone for your ideas! I'm not feeling so worried now. I couldn't figure out how to get the mortar board from cracking. i didn't plan well and i don't think the gumpaste will be dry by tomorrow, so i think im going to use thecardboard technique.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 14

I have a grad cake I am making for Sat (6/11). I am planning on making the top of the cap today with fondant and tylose powder. I wanted to give it enough time to dry by next sat.

My question is- dry in the fridge wrapped in wax paper, or let it dry on the countertop?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 14

Counter top - uncovered (or it won't dry) (I put a paper towel over it to keep dust off) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%