Has Anyone Tried The Pastry Pedestal?

Baking By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 19 May 2011 , 2:25pm by pnpflowers

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 7

I was poking around some party planning blogs this morning and came across the Pasty Pedestal. It is a stick with a round platform that you place a cupcake or cake ball on for display.

It looks interesting, but it is quite expensive, ($38 with the shipping for one dozen) so I want to hear about other's experiences before I spend any money. Here's the link.

Do the cupcakes fall off, especially the larger ones? Does the plastic get scratched easily? Are the cupcakes easily removed by the guest, or does the whole thing fall out when they take one?

6 replies
Dayti Posted 17 May 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

First time I've seen it - it looks cute, easy to use. You'd have to rent it to customers with a deposit of course. And charge for time spent if you wanted to decorate them. And time spent sorting out a base for them to go in.

I don't think the cupcakes or whatever you put on them would fall off, but I do think if you put something with a denser consistency, say cake pop or brownie on it, when the party-goer went to grab one, the whole support would be yanked out of the display. Maybe not with a cupcake.

I shall not be ordering any, delivery to Spain is just under $50 for only 12 icon_eek.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 7

I saw that on the Hostess with the Mostess blog that I read every day.

I like it. But again, it's pricey for what it is.

I don't think I liked the fact that it leaves a (big?) hole on the bottom of the cupcakes.

I don't think they'll fall off, but I wonder if crumbs would fall down from the cupcake into the guest's dress.

Anyway, check out the link (if you hadn't seen it) and see it in use.

MamaDear Posted 17 May 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 7

They are certainly cute but for less than 5 bucks I could cut out some heavy duty patterned paper glued to foamcore circles or coasters and stick a Marshmallow or some colored fondant on a heavy duty skewer, put the paper circle on next and then skewer the cupcake and stick it into a bucket of foam. Maybe even dye the skewers (easy, just put them in heavily food colored water overnight, then set out to dry) and put a bow where the marshmallow is to "beautify" it.

Same concept, and I admit it wouldnt be as "classy" but it would certainly be less than $38 bucks.

pnpflowers Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 7

Hi everyone!
I'm Jessica - creator of the Pastry Pedestal and I'm so glad to be able to hear/see your honest feedback and thoughts on the new product I've just launched.

I'll try to answer all of your questions/concerns...

SecretAgentCakeBaker - the pastries do not fall off because the rod is inserted into the bottom of the pastry itself. You can also adjust how deep or how shallow the rod is inserted into the pastry. I've not had experience with any pastries crumbling or falling to pieces once a guest retrieves them from the pedestal. The mechanism is made from acrylic and can be handwashed. Although it's not scratched easily, it's not scratch-resistant.

Dayti - I've not had any experience with denser pastries causing the mechanism to be removed from the display. We are working on shipping costs for international shipping - I too wish it wasn't so expensive.

imagenthatnj - The product is produced here in the United States. The product is reuseable making the initial purchase an investment. And since the creative options for styling them are endless, you could literally have them look completely different and display them differently for every event you are hosting.
As for hole in the cupcake from the rod - it's actually only 3/16th of an inch in diameter.

MamaDear - I love your creative ideas with using foam core. You could certainly do that. Keep in mind these are something you can use over and over again. With the foam core you would potentially need to continue to recreate them after each event. With the Pastry Pedestal, your decorative paper is also protected by the acrylic round to keep from soiling.

Again, I love the honesty here.
Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or even suggestions.
Thanks again everyone!!

The Pastry Pedestal

MamaDear Posted 18 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 7

You were very gracious with your response to my post and I hope I didn't offend you with my homemade response; its just that as a hobby baker I don't sell cakes, only gift them and this would be impractical for me to purchase myself. However... with the explosion in cupcake weddings, I could see a real market for these if they had some kind of acrylic stand to fit into because it would be very pretty to see a whole bunch of them grouped together. Kind of picturing a bunch of cupcakes kinda floating on air... wow. Don't know what all kind of engineering that would take but it would sure be something to look at!!! I wish you the best of luck with your product and like I said before, they are very cute!

pnpflowers Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7

Mama Dear - I wasn't offended at all. I sincerely love the honest feedback and constructive criticism. It's real and raw and and important for me to hear. So thank you. And thank you for your well-wishes for the product as well. There are many other facets of The Pastry Pedestal to come. We are working on a "stand alone" base as well as some other things that tie in with exactly what you mentioned: "cupcakes floating on air"! *wink*

I appreciate again, everyone who chimed in.
Your feedback is essential.

The Pastry Pedestal

Quote by @%username% on %date%