Opinions Please!

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 17 May 2011 , 3:42pm by stormrider

Niki11784 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys, hope you can give me your 2 cents here....i am making a 2 tier cake - 8'' and 10''. It will be covered in ivory fondant, with chocolate modeling clay decorations. The theme is grapes, with a quote on each tier, and chocolate scrolls around the border. I want it to be artsy with a "curly, squiggly look" I dont want to do 3D grapes, I had an idea to cut out circles from the chocolate clay to form a bunch of grapes, put a curly line on top, with a large grape leaf.I would put one on the top right side of the top tier, and the bottom left side of the bottom tier. My question is- which do you think would look better? The circles arranged with spaces in between, like a more modern look, or the circles arranged overlapping each other. Both would be in the shape of a grape bushel, but I think the first would be more artsy. Any ideas or tips? Did anyone follow me at all?

3 replies
m_willford Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 4

You could always sketch it out both ways and see which one you like better. I do that all the time with cakes, or furniture I'm building. You don't have to be great at sketching either....

I think it would look good either way, which I know doesn't help. Maybe you could have a few small clusters separated on a curly vine, per tier, so you get the more modern separated look with a definite grape cluster? Like 1 "grape", then further up 3 "grapes" and then at the top 5 "grapes" with the curly top and leaf? I can see it in my head, don't know if it's translating well on here. So it's like what a grape vine would be rather than just a cluster.

Either way, take pictures! icon_smile.gif

Niki11784 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4

I tried doodling it out....still not sure. I guess I can really play around with the circles before I attach them. Thanks icon_smile.gif

stormrider Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 4

I would cut out some paper circles (same size as you'd be using on the cake) and lay them out both ways to see which look you like better. I always make paper models of 3-d items like chairs too, to be certain that the size will look right on the cake I am making (you can use the empty pans as models)

Quote by @%username% on %date%