What Size Cake Do I Start With For A Carved 3D Dress Cake?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 17 May 2011 , 3:23pm by Dreme

Dreme Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:21am
post #1 of 4

I have seen the tutorial on here for how to make a wedding dress cake. (Similar to the Barbie doll cakes but with just a bust at the top). I do not have a rounded bowl pan to bake this cake in. I would like to just start off with rounds of cake and carve the dress to fit my design. The cake would need to serve 30 guest. I am not quite sure which cake sizes to start off with.
I thought to start with a 10" base, 9", 8", 6" two layers of each with filling in between, but I may be wrong. How do you get close to the number of servings needed? Do you price for more or less servings? Number of servings it should be? Completely new to this.

3 replies
snazzygem Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 4

I just made a dress cake last weekend (see my photos). I used a 9" tier (2 layers), a 7" tier (2 layers) and a 6" tier (1 layer). I then froze it and carved it into more of an "A-line" dress shape while it was frozen. Take a little bit off at a time! When I cut it, I made a horizontal cut about half way down the dress (creating 2 circular cakes). I did this because otherwise the slices would have been way too tall. My cake served about 20 (probably could have served 25 with different cuts). I hope that helps. I am knew to cake decorating also! But I do have say that my cake dress was the easiest one I have made so far!!

Kate icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:14am
post #3 of 4

you don't need a special pan...just find a bowl to bake your cake in! Depending on tall you want your dress to be, you can start with a regular round layer and top it with the flat side of your bowl cake. I made a half soccer ball with a stainless steel bowl (in my photos). It's a lot easier than carving I can tell you that!

Dreme Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 4

How do you know how many people the bowl will feed? Do you use a center heating core?

How much did (or would you have) charge for your cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%