Help Making Cookie Crumb Road Up A 3 Tiered Wedding Cake

Decorating By lstalder Updated 30 May 2011 , 3:08am by lstalder

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 3 tiered wedding cake (14, 10, 6). The couple want a cookie crumb road that starts at the bottom of the cake and winds up and around to the top tier. This is to represent the road of life leads to marriage.

How would I go about doing this? How wide of a road should it be? Use oreos or something else? I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to lay the road along the sides of the tier. Ideas? Would something like cookie crumbs on a fondant road work? The cakes will be frosted in SMBC. Would I have to put the road on at the site?
Help, Help!

5 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

Well, graham cracker crumbs (come already crummy in box, for pie crusts) or you can crush nilla wafers. I find these 2 are my best. If the tiers are to be fondant, I put down a light coating of piping gel to make the crumbs stick in place. As for winding from the bottom up to the top- I really don't have a clue at the moment. Unless you are going to either carve or add cake to make a ramp that wraps around up to the top.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for. I am interested in seeing what others suggest. Good luck.

Sandy

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:39am
post #3 of 6

For the road, I use cinnamon graham crackers and I put them in the food processor to grind them up. As for making the road, I would do like Sandy said and put some type of icing down first. You can put it on the side of the cake, but you will have to do it in stages...ice a little and then using your hand press crumbs to the icing. Make sure you have something down to catch the excess crumbs so you are not wasting them.

I'm not sure how wide you should make it, sorry hopefully someone else might have suggestions with this one...

Good luck and I can't wait to see your finished cake!

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 6

one last thing, if you use an icing to put the road on, you should be good to put it on before hand...I have with cakes I've done...I think it's a little too messy to do it onsite....but maybe take some icing and crumbs with you just in case you need to touch up!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:44am
post #5 of 6

You might consider carving it like this:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/662/how-to-carve-a-spiral-cake

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:08am
post #6 of 6

I'm still stuck on this one, any other ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%