Question About Stacking And Carving 3D Cakes...

Decorating By BellaRoca Updated 22 May 2011 , 11:10pm by ycknits

BellaRoca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRoca Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:20am
post #1 of 13

So my questions is this, I have to make a cake that is going to be kind of talland skinny..about 2 ft tool. Normally when stacking a cake like this i would put a small cardboard cake board in btwn every 2 layers and dowel it all the way thru so it doesnt fall over. now if i want to carve this cake on the sides, would you want to add these cardboard cake boards. and if u dont, wont the cake topple or not be sturdy?
any help is appreciated.
it would be like if u were making a tall building (cake) thats a certain shape... hopefully this makes sense...

12 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:52am
post #2 of 13

Yes, use cardboard cake boards and a support system for every 4" of cake height.

BellaRoca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRoca Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 13

so when your doing a carved cake/3d cake...do you just cut thru the cake boards when carving the shape?

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 13

I found this and Im reading it, as I also need to do a cake that is tapered and cant get the shape right for the life of me! nor can I get it even without it crumbling.

Hope this helps

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-59361-.html

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 13

I cut right through the cardboards and all...

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 21 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I cut right through the cardboards and all...

Kiddiekakes - do you just use a standard sharp serrated knife to go through the cardboards? Do you wrap the cardboards, or use as is?

Thanks for your recommendations!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 22 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #7 of 13

I buy the 10x14 boards at Michaels and they are already covered in a waxy substance so I don't have to cover the cardboard. I cut them to size, making sure that there is room to carve cake alongside the boards. This means that the boards are hidden within the cake and my carving doesn't necessarily reveal them. I don't have to cut them off because they have already been cut smaller than the bottom board. I hope you understand what I mean! It works out great and no cardboard bits inside the cake. I normally allow 2-3 inches around the board for carving.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #8 of 13

I agree with Motta, I plan the shape of the baords as I'm assembling the cake so they're smaller than the finished piece, then you don't have to worry about hitting them. Here's a tutorial I did about shaping the cake boards, it might help. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/04/boards-on-carved-cakes.html

ycknits Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #9 of 13

Thank you Motta and Costumeczar! My son's bar/grill is celebrating their two-year anniversary next month, and I've promised to create a magnificent 3D bulldog cake for them. I'm both excited and scared to death. Your guidance is very, very helpful to me. You're the BEST!!

ycknits Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

Sorry all, but I just thought of another question...

I've been using the doctored 'durable' cake mix recipes for my 3D cakes, although I'd like to start trying some made from scratch recipes, because I love to bake as well as decorate.

Which typ of cake recipes do you prefer for your 3D projects?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 13

I use anything for 3-D other than the softest recipe that I have, which is strawberry. As long as your supports are okay you can use any cake for the main part, although if there are any sections that extend out from the main section a sturdier recipe would probably be good.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 13

I like the vanilla butter pound cake recipe and the durable chocolate for 3d cakes...I am currently looking for other flavors to offer my customers...

ycknits Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you, Superstars! I'm going to give the pound cake a dry run next week icon_smile.gif I generally love any recipe with that includes the word 'butter'...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%