Covering Cake With Fondant (Poll)

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 18 May 2011 , 9:19am by sweettreat101

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:50am
post #1 of 5

Curious on the process people go through to cover cakes. Feel free to add comments and advice too!

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:48am
post #2 of 5

I don't put cake in the fridge. I will freeze an uniced cake, but not refrigerate. (If using a frosting/filling that HAD to be refrigerated, well then I would, of course, but typically I avoid those types of fillings etc)

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 5

I was hoping for more replies to this poll because im at a loss for how to get my cakes not to have a filling buldge.. I have asked and also tried some new tricks and its still happening... HELP

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:55am
post #4 of 5

You need to use a really stiff dam of BC and/or a thin layer of filling to prevent bulging.

I always fondant a well chilled cake. It's just me, and everyone does things differently.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 9:19am
post #5 of 5

I fill my cakes and place a piece of wax paper on top and place an object depending on the size of the cake if the cake is ten inches or larger I use a dinner plate. I let it sit for about one hour in the fridge. This helps the cake settle. I then smooth any frosting that has bulged out the side and frost my cake. Once the cake has been frosted I chill for about fifteen minutes while I am rolling out the fondant and then cover the cake. I find that it's easier to cover with fondant if the butter cream is on the firm side. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%