Edible Glue Buy Or Make

Decorating By volleykjh10 Updated 17 May 2011 , 9:53pm by langranny

volleykjh10 Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 9

In my one cake class I was taught that you can take gumpaste and add it to water to create "edible glue". Is there a stronger form of glue that I could purchase?

Thanks for the help,
Kelly

8 replies
whiteangel Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

What do you need to use it for? Royal Icing is like cement

mommynana Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 9

I use 2 Tablspoons of warm water and a quarter tea. of tylose, For fondant

HappyCake10609 Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 9

I have used the dissolved gumpaste and I'm currently using some gum glue I bought, it was a powder (gum arabic) that I dissolved in water as instructed on the package.

I think they are fairly comparable if anything the gum arabic might dry a little faster... I store my gum glue in an air tight container in the fridge, and it has been lasting me forever, I spent about $3 on it about 3 months ago and I've barely made a dent in it (because you use so little). It said on the package I can store it this way, I'm not sure if or how long you can store the dissolved gum paste type glue...

SarahL4683 Posted 17 May 2011 , 12:15am
post #5 of 9

Depends what you need to glue! You can use the gumpaste and water, or vodka, or vanilla, and yes, royal icing too.

Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

And melted chocolate makes a good, strong glue, too.

maitej17 Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:04am
post #7 of 9

Melted chocolate is my go to when I know I need something strong, I still use a lot of the gum paste melted in water when it's small things or things that I know won't fall off, but if it's something that I would use super glue if I could, then it's melted chocolate.

volleykjh10 Posted 17 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for answering my question. I love to make animals and figures out of fondant and it seems to take so long for the moist gumpaste to dry. Plus I was told that you should refrigerate the unused paste for only two weeks. I was looking for something quicker or even something handier. I didn't know if there was a brand of "edible" glue that is good to use.

langranny Posted 17 May 2011 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 9

Recently I've been using clear corn syrup (Karo). Works great. Solid as a rock when it dries. Only gotcha is that if you get it on something that shows, it dries shiny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%