The Bottom Of My Cake Did Not Bake

Baking By walterwonder Updated 24 May 2011 , 12:25am by Janette

walterwonder Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 6

I prepared my usual cake batter. I put it into my new Magic Line 10" pan and used a heating core for the first time. I baked at 325 for 70 minutes on the 3rd rack. I did the toothpick test in numerous places, which came out clean. It fall a bit after sitting on the cooling rack for a while. I took it out of the pan the next morning to start cutting/layering it and the bottom of the cake was not cooked. I have never heard of that before. Can anyone help and tell me whatmight have happened?

Thank goodness it was just for a friend and she was happy just eating the top half, but I surely do not want it to happen again!

5 replies
sweetviolet Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 6

I am so beyond new at this mentioned that you let the cake sit overnight in the pan? Maybe it wasn't that the cake didn't bake on the bottom but that in the process of cooling condensation built up and turned the bottom into mush? I've heard suggested that you leave the cake in the pan for about 15 minutes max. after removing it from the oven, and then complete the cooling process out of the pan on your wire rack. Like I said, only an idea. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 6

Sweetviolet is on the right tract icon_smile.gif A cake should be turned out of the pan about 5-10 minutes out of the oven to cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes before being wrapped in plastic wrap OR a plastic bag to complete the cooling/storing overnight.
OR it could be there is something wrong w/your oven. Do you have an electric w/two elements - top & bottom? One of them could be burned out - or going out/not heating right.

MimiFix Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 6

I always leave my cakes to cool in the pans. Always. Parchment paper liners keep them from sticking and I've never had a problem, so I don't think that's the issue.

However, kakeladi raised a good point about the possibility of an electric coil problem.

walterwonder Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #5 of 6

Nope, have a gas oven and have cooked other numerous cakes in different pans with good result. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for the one I'm doing this week!

Janette Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

I've had that happen a couple of times. I'm trying to think if I had left them in the pan but, can't remember. Just in case I'll make sure not to leave them in the pan. Violet had a good point too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%