Help With Lace On Wedding Cake

Decorating By MissMona Updated 19 May 2011 , 4:38am by MissMona

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 13

I need to make a wedding cake with lace on it. I need suggestions for the easiest, but prettiest way to do this....do I look for molds or cutters? Which ones do you love?

12 replies
robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 13

THEY HAVE SOME GREAT MOLDS. THEY ARE SO EASY TO USE!!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 13

I was just reading in the American Cake Decorating magazine(an old one) about doing lace impressions. according to it's directions you need a good solid crocheted lace--they reccommended the expensive lace that you would use for a wedding and cut to length of circumference or if it is real expensive just buy like a piece that would be a third of the cake or 4th and you will have to press more than one time obviously. Then you align it where you want it on the cake securing it with toothpicks until you get to each section. you want to do this on a freshly iced cake. press the lace into the cake for an even impression in small sections, but do it quickly so the icing won't crust on you. Pull the lace away and go over the impressions with a #1 or #01 tip and Royal icing. THis helps them to stand out. It looks real pretty, but I am sure that the second step would definitely be more time-consuming then pressing lace from molds, but if you don't have the mold and the lace would be cheaper then you might consider this way. Good luck. After you have impressed the lace and pulled the toothpicks out gently cover the toothpick hole and any seams that might have occurred and you are ready to start piping. hope this helps some.

MissMona Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:25am
post #4 of 13

thank you so much. I just ordered two lovely molds from elegant molds....anyone used these? I cannot wait! They are gorgeous! I'll let you know how it goes....

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #5 of 13

I just did a lace cake a week ago. I used Earlene Moore's lace molds. (I bought them from makeyourownmolds.com ) I loved how it turned out! Here is a link to the pic of it, if you would like to see it.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2038716

MissMona Posted 18 May 2011 , 2:47am
post #6 of 13

Oh I love your cake! Well, I went ahead and order molds last night from elagant lace molds....anyone tried these? I can't wait to try them!
http://www.elegantlacemolds.com/
#204 & #212
self trimming too! WooHoo! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #7 of 13

Those both look like very pretty molds, can't wait to see how they turn out! The ones I used are *overpiped* molds - really deep details on them.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:08am
post #8 of 13

Sugarveil has great lace molds too. They're kind of expensive, but if lace is something you're going to do more than once, it's worth it.http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/sugarveil-mat.htm
I used it here on the 2nd tier of this cake. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004122/2004220
The mixture stays flexible, it's really cool.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #9 of 13

I have two of their lace molds and have great success with them. They have been easy to use. I use mine with fondant. The fondant releases very easy.

MissMona Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 13

It says they are self trimming, did you get that style too? I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend alot of time trimming them, do you? Or do they come out perfectly?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 13

Bakingkat, I saw your cake and it is beautiful. I was so excited about the cake itself and what you used that I forgot to tell you how pretty it was. I love the originality of it. I would love to have the recipe for the filling and topping. (Under the fondant) thanks.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:31am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMona

It says they are self trimming, did you get that style too? I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend alot of time trimming them, do you? Or do they come out perfectly?

The trimming that I did was my fault. I wasn't paying as close attention as I should and put a little too much fondant in the mold in a few places. I used the braided one on my cosmetic bag cake if you want to look at that trim.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1952860

MissMona Posted 19 May 2011 , 4:38am
post #13 of 13

very nice. Love all the little details! But the trim looks really good. Well, I'm excited to get them and get started. I do hope it all goes well. I'll keep y'all posted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%