Moulds For Faces

Decorating By acissej Updated 16 May 2011 , 10:35pm by Coral3

acissej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acissej Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 2

Hi,
Im currently looking to buy a mould for making faces, ive just been doing them myself up til now but i want something than will define them more more, just wondering could anybody recommend some icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thank you,

J x

1 reply
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 2

The trouble with using molds for the face is that then the rest of the figure can look like it doesn't go with the face...it is hard to hand-model legs/arms & hands so they're fine & delicate but if you're using a realistic/fine featured face mold they have to be otherwise the model will look all wrong. I would suggest you either keep working on your faces (faces ARE hard, and it takes practice to get them turning out how you want them to) OR when you're looking for face molds look for one you can buy matching (ie in proportion) arm and leg molds to go with, even if you dont buy the other molds first up, you may decide you need them after youve started using the face.

I say this because I really had trouble with arms and legs on my first few figurines, so I went and bought arm & leg molds thinking that would solve the problem. I didn't buy a face mold because I want them to have a hand-modelled look, so I'm determined to keep working at faces. But when I used the arms & legs with a hand-modelled head they looked really wrong together - like I pulled the arms and legs of a barbie doll and stuck them on a strawberry shortcake doll or something. So I had to go back and practice hand modelling the arms and legs until I could make them to a useable standard, and the molds now sit in the cupboard gathering dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%