Cupcake Topper/pick

Baking By Choco68 Updated 17 May 2011 , 2:04pm by Marianna46

Choco68 Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone...

I wondered if someone could guide me on homemade cupcake picks

I've been given some pre-cut flowers but in very thin foam. If I made up a flower and put it on a popiscle stick or toothpick is it still safe to use as a cupcake pick or should it only be made of paper?

Some of the pre-cut flowers have glitter on it but doesn't dust off.

I'd really be grateful if someone could give me some advice!

I'm attaching a picture of the flowers

Thanks a mil

Dee x

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #2 of 4

There's a problem about attaching pictures right now, unfortunately. You could use either popsicle sticks or the kind of sticks you use for cake balls. They don't necessarily have to be paper, they just have to be food-safe. Check those things out at your local cake supply place or online.

Choco68 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:07am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Marianna

I'll try that - the foam flowers given to me were purchased from a craft shop - I guess foams are food safte right?

I guess I could attach the flowers on a slightly longer stick so they have no contact with the cake?

This is a totally new medium for me - I'm so used to sugarpaste! icon_smile.gif

Thanks a lot....I'll go back and ask the client and check with the shop.

D x

Marianna46 Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 4

The flowers don't have to be food-safe (although it would be good if you knew they were non-toxic, which isn't exactly the same thing), so your idea of placing them so they don't come into contact with the cake or the icing is a good one. I know what you mean abou the sugarpaste - I'm outside my comfort zone if it's not gumpaste or fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%