Urgent Red Velvet Wedding Cake Frosting Help?!!

Baking By lovecheesecake Updated 17 May 2011 , 9:14pm by lovecheesecake

lovecheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovecheesecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 15

ok so i did a tasting using the Swiss meringue recipe and she didn't like it, but she liked the pudding based filling but only problem is is that it is unstable to leave out for hours.

so i have a problem, the bride loved this recipe:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups whole milk
8 ounces white chocolate baking pieces
1-1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 Tablespoon vanilla (or 1 1/2 tsp LorAnn's vanilla bean paste)
1-1/2 cups sugar

but it cant work for the cake, i tried these but hated the shortening and butter flavoring tasted horrible in my opinion:

White Chocolate Ganache Buttercream
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup softened butter

2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract
1 tbsp Milk
4oz White Chocolate
half of 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 and 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter ( softened)

To make buttercream; Cream butter and shortening, add vanilla, add sugar one cup at a time blending well adding one tbsp of milk after each cup of sugar. Mix until well blended. Put white chocolate into a microwave safe bowl add enough heavy cream to cover about 1/3 of the chocolate,add butter to the bowl microwave for 30 seconds on high then WHISK together (using the whisk is key!!) until smooth. Let the ganache cool slightly then whip it into to the buttercreamicon_smile.gif

stiff cream cheese icing please!

This is the crusting cream cheese recipe that I use(if that's what you mean by "stiff"). It is delicious, very light and not as sweet as Buttercream. I suggest using this instead of buttercream to all my customers.

3/4 Hi ratio Shortening
4 oz cream cheese(I always add just a little more, maybe another 2 oz)
1.5 tsp clear vanilla
1.5 TBS Meringue powder
1 tsp butter flavoring
1tsp of extract of choice
2lbs Confects sugar
Cream
This recipe makes alot, I just used it to dirty ice a 4 tier wedding cake-12" 8", 6" and 4"-so cut it in half for smaller jobs.

Cream shortening, cream cheese and flavorings 'til smooth-add meringue and 3TBS cream, continue to mix 'til blended-slowly add confect sugar beating on low. Once all sugar is in beat on med-high 6 mins. Add more confect sugar for thicker frosting. It will have a very light fluffy consistenecy but will crust. It's delicious.
As far as flavorings go...if you want an almond flavor add 2tsp almond extract. When I make Pina colada cake I add 1/2 tsp lorann pina colada. Last week I made a choc cake with nutella filling so to the icing I added lorann choc hazlenut flavoring. It was fantastic!

so now im ctuck with no frosting idea and filling for a 2 tier red velvet wedding cake for a bride who loves chream cheese decadent frosting!?!?

please help!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 15

Why did you offer her an unstable filling that you can't give her unless you didn't know it was going to be an outside reception.

Butter flavored shortening tastes like fake butter chemicals.

So why can't you use the cream cheese icing you mentioned?

lovecheesecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 15

that's the thing its not going to be outside, i did a test on a cupcake but the lady i got the recipe from said she would not recommend making tiers with it?

i agree about the shortening...

because the ones i mentioned about were not nice, gritty (even after using hi ratio shortening), and not like true cream cheese and one just tasted awful.

i need a cream cheese decadent frosting/ filling that doesn't have that gritty texture and tastes great right now i have not found it.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 15
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 15

I'm still confused! You said your cream cheese frosting was fantastic and now you say it's gritty and not like real cream cheese frosting. What are you doing? Just copying the recipes down with the original posters comments and not giving us your opinion of the recipe when you tried it.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm This reicpe might suit your needs.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 15

Lovecheesecake, I'm still confused, too!

So your customer didn't like the Cream Cheese Swiss Meringue Buttercream, right?

OK.

But she liked the flour/milk/chocolate frosting recipe you listed second in your post.

Right?

But you think/know that this recipe won't work in cake layers, for some reason.

And you don't like any of the others that you listed because they have shortening.

Is this all true?

People will keep on bombarding you with recipes that contain shortening if we don't set up some true/false statements here.

Let us know!

lovecheesecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 15

deleted

lovecheesecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 15

all in all what i need is a better frosting that can be used on a wedding cake being left out for a few hours. hence why the pudding based frosting may not work.

anything that goes well with red velvet cake is welcomed and that doesn't have that shortening icing sugar taste to it.

just to clarify i tried all the recipes i copied above, the pudding base was the preferred one, but the others i didn't give to her as i found they didn't taste as i wanted them to taste.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 15

OK. I'm going to post a link. I haven't tried that buttercream yet, but it's been tried before, as you can see.

It's similar to the second one you posted (with the white chocolate), but it's some kind of Italian Meringue Buttercream.

It's the White Chocolate Buttercream in this link. Maybe you would want to try a small batch of it and see if it tastes similar to the one your client liked?

http://www.pastrychef.com/Wedding-Cake_ep_48.html

It doesn't have anything that could spoil, the ingredients are similar to what your client liked and I think the white chocolate makes it stiffer than regular IMBC.

If anybody else has any ideas about why this might not work, please chime in!

lovecheesecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 15

imagenthatnj your very kind thank you i will check this out!

lovecheesecake Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 15

anymore suggestions welcomed- the cake will be out for about 4-5 hours, and will be covered in w.choc panels

thanks!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 15

white chocolate ganache and red velvet are a popular combination with my clients (not white chocolate ganache buttercream that you listed). Very stable and can be left out for days

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 15

I'll give you the same recipe I use that I got from a bakery who made many a red velvet cake--not to mention wedding cakes. It's delicious and very rich but because it uses real butter it's not recommended for outdoor or hot venues...though I've used it (and seen it used) for cakes that sat out for hours before being cut and even though it was soft, it held up great. It's the only recipe I use and I don't cover cakes with fondant.

1 8 ounce package Cream cheese
8 ounces (2 Sticks) of real butter (I use land 'o lakes)
2 lb package Powdered Sugar (pure cane PS)

Cream softened butter and cream cheese together until smooth and fluffy. Slowly add powdered sugar until combined.
That's it. No vanilla necessary, but you can add it if you want.
My cakes are delivered cold at least an hour before an event so as to slowly warm to room temp.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 15

I also use the one from Design Me a Cake or the one Sharon Zambito has posted on her blog. I also use a Vanilla, Butter and Nut Flavoring (clear) made by Superior Products. If you use it, you can use more shortening and less butter.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

lovecheesecake Posted 17 May 2011 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 15

thanks everyone, i will try these suggestions, spoke to the lady again and its def. cream cheese frosting so im researching and experimenting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%