The Things Yousee On Tv

Lounge By leah_s Updated 18 May 2011 , 2:45pm by dchockeyguy

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 38

I'm baking and watching Food Network right now. I have no idea what show this is. But it switches from Professional Bakery to Professional Bakery. They're not giving the prices, so it not that show.

Anyway this chick just stacked a five tier cake with straws, BUT she stuck them in, pulled them up part of the way and cut them off, then pushed them down just ever so slightly under the top level of the fondant. There was absolutely no attempt to cut the straws to the same length. No center dowel. And no delivery - customer picked it up. She kept talking while decorating, "This seems wobbly. I hope it doesn't fall over."

icon_eek.gif

37 replies
TinkerCakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 38

LOL!!! One thing that has been bothering me on TV (and on here) is when someone says "everything is edible" when they have some gumpaste decorations.....have they ever tried to eat dried gumpaste? Technically, it is edible I guess, but do they say "be careful, you could chip a tooth" as well as "it doesn't taste good" after they announce it's all edible!

MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 38

I always tell people it is made with sugar so it's food safe but I wouldn't eat it. It's just a way to make it custom for your occasion and food safe. They seem happy with this explanation.

preciouspjs Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 38

I watched an episode of "fabulous cakes".. and I couldn't believe it.. this lady cut off too much, and she was sort of just stuffing scraps of cake in to make it right.. and then she messed up the fondant on the back and she said "oh its okay, i guess this is going to be the back of the cake" etc. etc. I was horrified..

..and I agree with that.. I don't believe its "edible". I believe its "food safe"..

poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 38

Edible doesn't necessarily mean palatable.

MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 38

Straws seem like they would just bend under the pressure of another cake I would feel responsible if a cake fell I don't know how they justify that in there minds. Send your customer off with a "good luck" and a pat on the back.

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 38

Second episode - these guys say "We'll assemble the tiers onsite." OK, now we ALL do that, but I generally mean that I'll assemble it on the cake table where the cake is presented.

They assembled the cake on the tailgate of their vehicle.

Again, icon_eek.gif

Davwattie Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaJeane

Straws seem like they would just bend under the pressure of another cake I would feel responsible if a cake fell I don't know how they justify that in there minds. Send your customer off with a "good luck" and a pat on the back.

I stacked a 3 tier cake on friday using bubble tea straws and no centre dowel icon_biggrin.gif took it 80 miles up the motorway in the boot of my car lol

Must say though I wouldnt like to hand it over to a customer and expect them to get it there in one piece icon_surprised.gif

metria Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 38

i've seen a wide spectrum of cake work ethics on tv. some bad, some good. i do love seeing the cake decorators who are really attentive to detail and feel very strongly about upholding their values!

BlakesCakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 38
Quote:

Straws seem like they would just bend under the pressure of another cake .....

Nope.

One of the strongest structures is the hollow cylinder--a straw. Just try taking a good quality (like McDonald's or bubble tea) straw and attempt to crush it from end to end in your hand. Can't do it.

A hollow cylinder can support many, many units of weight per square inch in comparison to it's own, light weight.

Even the SPS system is using............hollow cylinders...........for leg supports under the plates.

Because the straw has a wider bottom than a wooden dowel, it's much less likely to just slip under pressure or when exposed to slippery fillings, grease, etc.

The central dowel should really be 2 dowels. Things can spin on 1 dowel--an axis--but they can't spin on 2. These keep the cake/boards from moving sideways.

Rae

MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 38

I could see if you transported it yourself and know what your dealing with. With the bad roads here and a distracted customer planning a party I could just see the cakes awfull demise prior to it's grand entrance. I'm also a total worrier so I'd deliver it in bubble wrap if I could. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 38

I agree, Leah. I wind up yelling at the TV with a lot of those shows icon_confused.gif

I think it often reflects people who don't try to gather new info/education and who just keep repeating the same mistakes. Or else, they just really don't give a damn.

Duff cuts his straws the same way--at least when being filmed. It drives me nuts, because for me to cut them properly, I take time, measure 2x, cut once, level, etc.

It's sad that those of us who try so hard to "do it right" often seem to wind up trying to convince "muggles" that what they saw on the boob tube was WRONG icon_mad.gif

Rae

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 38

Watching a third episode. "The party starts in 30 minutes and we're still working on the cake."

They arrive "just minutes" before the party begins and not everything is even attached to the cake. Guests are already there.

::shakes head:

MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 38

Thank you Blakescakes it's worth looking into, especially if they are cost efficient.

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 38

In this next episode they're using an AGBAY!!!

Of course she cuts herself . . .

BlakesCakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:

......if they are cost efficient.

It costs less than $1 to dowel a 3 tier cake icon_lol.gif

Rae

MelissaJeane Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 38

That sounds great! I wish I had cable and could watch those shows. We cancelled it because it seemed like there was still nothing on for $100 a month. I don't get to see the newer cake shows I hear people talk about.

Dayti Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #18 of 38

What's the name of the show?

imagenthatnj Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 38

Leah_S are you sure you're watching the Food Network? lol

For a moment, I got confused and thought you might be watching WE TV?

I can't think of any show that the Food Network would have, unless it's one of those challenges.

Do you know the name of the show by now? I'm really curious now. I watch a lot of Food Network, not so much for cakes but cooking, and I can't figure out what you're watching!

warchild Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

Straws seem like they would just bend under the pressure of another cake .....

Nope.

One of the strongest structures is the hollow cylinder--a straw. Just try taking a good quality (like McDonald's or bubble tea) straw and attempt to crush it from end to end in your hand. Can't do it.

A hollow cylinder can support many, many units of weight per square inch in comparison to it's own, light weight.

Even the SPS system is using............hollow cylinders...........for leg supports under the plates.

Because the straw has a wider bottom than a wooden dowel, it's much less likely to just slip under pressure or when exposed to slippery fillings, grease, etc.

The central dowel should really be 2 dowels. Things can spin on 1 dowel--an axis--but they can't spin on 2. These keep the cake/boards from moving sideways.

Rae

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:36pm
post #21 of 38

......Straws seem like they would just bend under the pressure of another cake..........

I see someone else already addressed this.........and NO they will NOT bend/buckle under pressure. I'm glad to see others know how strong they will be. Nothing wrong with using themicon_smile.gif
And they are far more food safe than dowels!

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:40pm
post #22 of 38

I had to switch to the local news.

Seriously, all CCers should watch these shows. They will increase your self-esteem dramatically!!!!

Sangriacupcake Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:41pm
post #23 of 38

It's Fabulous Cakes on TLC...I'm watching it now.

leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #24 of 38

Oh, yes, you are correct. I was watching TLC. Sorry for the confusion.

cownsj Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #25 of 38

I'd love to be watching these episodes. Sounds like a good comedy show.... lol

As for gumpaste. My husband does not like sweets, but he LOVES dried gumpaste. I think it tastes like Necco Wafers, and I don't like them, but my husband does. We have a couple friends who can't wait to get those items off the cake to gobble up. Yuck. I tell people that some people like it and some don't, so don't think you will offend us if you don't want to eat it (or the fondant), and that the gumpaste is hard is hard.

I know itellectually that the straws are stonger and work, but I just can't get myself to try them because like so many others I'm terrified of them buckling on me. Even though I know better. icon_confused.gif

Sangriacupcake Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:54pm
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Seriously, all CCers should watch these shows. They will increase your self-esteem dramatically!!!!

I keep missing all the funny parts! I'm trying to get cookies baked and decorated before I get dinner on the table!!!!

YellowBrickRd Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:59pm
post #27 of 38

The show is on now. Im checking it out. The one lady Im watching was on one of the challenges. I guess the bottom line for me is to watch for "pretty" and ask my need to know questions here!!!!

NataliaD Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #28 of 38

Oh, i have been watching these shows all day long! What bothers me is that a lot of them just stick wired flowers in the cakes without using flower picks or straws! One lady( on Fabulous Cakes from about a week ago) went to say that if the wires are covered with floral tape it's safe to stick straight in the cake.... in what Universe?????? Sad to see big fancy bakeries do that.

cownsj Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:10pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataliaD

Oh, i have been watching these shows all day long! What bothers me is that a lot of them just stick wired flowers in the cakes without using flower picks or straws! One lady( on Fabulous Cakes from about a week ago) went to say that if the wires are covered with floral tape it's safe to stick straight in the cake.... in what Universe?????? Sad to see big fancy bakeries do that.

See, this is why CC is so important. I had thought the same thing about wires, hadn't gotten around to buying the tape for that, when I read on here about the latex in the tape. I would not have known otherwise. None of my family or friends has that allergy, but still, I wouldn't want to ever take a risk. I happily use skewers and lollipop sticks now for those things. And if I have to curl a wire, then definitely into a straw it goes with fondant at the bottom.

Cealy Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:35pm
post #30 of 38

Those of you who watched the Fabulous Cakes episodes today, what did you think of the balloon cake issue and the finished product?

My 17yr old came in just after she crumb coated it and continued to watch it with me. When the cake was all said and done (after the cake designer and her assistant dropped it due to the weight popping the shelf pins in the fridge) my daughter said, "you can do a much better job than that!"
Sure made me feel good, then my next thought was "how much did she get paid for that cake!" It looked like she was trying new techniques on the panels of the balloon, each panel was different and honestly looked like crap! Beauty is definately in the eye of the beholder!
What about the designers that design a cake then can't fit it into their delivery vehicles?!

C
ps, I only use bubble tea straws now, except for teared cakes, I will put a pointed scewer down through both cakes when stacked, slide a McDonald's type straw through the hole then slide a fresh scewer down the centre-the ones I found fit snug so no worries of wabbling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%