3D Ice Cream Cone Cake Instructions

Decorating By SweetTreatsbyJess Updated 12 Mar 2014 , 11:51pm by FlourPots

SweetTreatsbyJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 14

First off I wanted to say Thank You to everybody for all the nice compliments. This is by far my most popular cake on CC and I am super excited icon_smile.gif Here are the instructions for how I constructed this cake. There are probably different ways to do things but this is how I managed. I think you will be surprised to find that it is not very difficult to create!

Ok here goes:

For the structure you will need:
1/4" thick plywood cut to desired sized and shape
1/2" flange
3" nipple (gray piece)
1/2" extender
14" of 1/2" PVC
9" styrofoam cone

You can find the flange, nipple, and extender at Home Improvement stores in the plumbing section. Find the center of your plywood and attach flange with screws. You'll need to cover your board before you go any further so you get the flange covered up. Then find the hole of the flange and cut it out so you can screw in the nipple. The reason I used the nipple, instead of just going straight from flange to extender then PVC, was because the extender is a bit wider and I would of ended up having to cut off a lot of the cone in order to accommodate it. Hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif Now is a good time to get the cone ready. This was the tricky part for me. First off, I found these at Walmart in the silk flower section. I can't remember exactly what they were called..I think a floral cone, it is green. I would recommend buying 2 or 3 and it took me a couple tries to get it right. They are not expensive icon_smile.gif I ended up cutting off the last inch or so of cone because it was too narrow for the pipe. My husband ran the drill through the Styrofoam with a 1/4" drill bit that was about 12" long. Then just burrowed the hole out to get the width needed for the pvc to fit through it. The problem that arises is that you also have to get that extender through which is a little wider. And I didn't want to make the hole that big all the way through or I would of ended up having to cut off more of the cone. So with the nipple attached to the extender and PVC we ended pushing it in from the top/wide end of the cone until the threaded part of the extended was sticking out of the bottom of the cone. Hope this is making sense it is hard to explain. Basically the bottom opening of the hole was still just 1/2" wide where the top ended up being a bit wider to slide the extender through. It was pretty easy..seems this styrofoam wasn't as dense as white styrofoam. Now you can screw in the cone. Tip: Cover your board with wax paper so it doesn't get messed up as you are decorating! Next I covered the cone in fondant. I embossed mine with a checkerboard pattern.

Now the cakes:

I used a 6" round for the bottom and a betty crocker bake and fill pan for the top of the scoops. You could also use Wilton's ball pan or any that give you that nice curve. I placed my cakes on cardboard circles cut to be just slightly bigger than the scoops and here's my reasoning icon_smile.gif I knew I wanted to add those fondant circles and figured if I just placed them on top of the cardboard you would be able to see it. Having doing it this way I was able to just push the balls into the cardboard itself and I think it also helped with them not falling off as well. If you were going to do this in buttercream you wouldn't need to worry about that step. Fill and stack. I ended up carving down the bottom, just to round it out a bit. Iced in buttercream. Chilled. Starting with bottom scoop (strawberry), cut just a slight wedge of the top so the next scoop would sit a bit topsy. Iced with buttercream. Chilled. Covered in fondant then placed some straws for support. I then slid it down the PVC onto the cone. Then I slid on the chocolate scoop just so I could see where I would need to cut the top again. Pulled it off, cut the slight wedge. Iced. Chilled. Fondant. Straws. And the top scoop doesn't get cut.

Decorate!!

Something to keep in mind:

If your cakes are different heights than mine you will need to adjust the length of the PVC.

I was sooo nervous that gravity would take over and these cakes would just slide right through the PVC but thankfully they did not. I had it standing up for a day and a half with no problems.
Hopefully I did not leave anything out. Feel free to email me with any questions icon_smile.gif

Jessica

PS: If you have a facebook account and wouldn't mind heading over to https://www.facebook.com/pages/Palm-Bay-FL/Sweet-Treats-by-Jess/151229244943531. I'm trying to get more Likes icon_smile.gif ...it's addicting.

13 replies
SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 14

Hmm...how do you add pictures??

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 14

Well done, your cake is great, I just saw it in the photos! Thanks for taking the trouble to write the instructions.
(You might want to post a link to this post in your photos, so people can find it easily and you don't get inundated with requests icon_wink.gif )

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTreatsbyJess

Hmm...how do you add pictures??

You can use a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Imageshack. Follow the instructions on each site, but basically upload the photo from your computer onto there, and then copy and paste the link they give you into your post. If you "preview" the post first, you can see if it worked, before hitting submit.

SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Well done, your cake is great, I just saw it in the photos! Thanks for taking the trouble to write the instructions.
(You might want to post a link to this post in your photos, so people can find it easily and you don't get inundated with requests icon_wink.gif )

Well I can't seem to figure this site out. Do I need to be an HTML wiz. icon_smile.gif Can you tell me how to do that, I appreciate it and your advice too!

SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:57am
post #6 of 14

[/img]

SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:59am
post #7 of 14

Also I forgot to mention to make sure you cut a hole big enough for your PVC in each cardboard cake board before you put the cake on...learned this the hard way.

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:23am
post #8 of 14

Thank you sooo much ... this is awesome

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #9 of 14

AWESOME!! Thanks for the pictures because the email you sent me was a bit confusing icon_redface.gif I give strange names to those hardware pieces...I never know what other people call them LOL!

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 17 May 2011 , 3:16am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 14

Love the cake and thanks for the instructions.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 14

I know this is an old post...but it's awesome! Thank you SweetTreatsbyJess!!! Although, I can't see the pics, have they been removed? if so, did anybody saved them?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 14

Anyone???

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%