6 X 2 And 5 X 2 Help

Baking By Rhonlynn Updated 17 May 2011 , 1:00am by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

I have the Wilton's 6 x 2 and a 5 x 2 (not by Wilton's.) They are great for the extra batter left from the 8 x 2 for the class cake. The cakes seem to get over done in the little pans. How long do you usually cook,and on what temperature, for the little pans? Very willing to cook just the one 8 inch,then the little pans after.

4 replies
Dayti Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 5

I bake at 300 for all my cakes, regardless of size. My oven is pretty fierce. But so you have a comparison, I bake my 8" chocolate cakes for 35 mins, 6" cakes for 32 mins. They bake the same height (2" in my 3" pans). Other recipes have other bake times...
I also use Wilton bake even strips though - baking with these makes the baking process longer, since the outside cooks slower than not using them, to give the middle of the cake time to "catch up".
Basically, it's going to depend on your oven, your cake batter flavour and consistency, whether you use strips (or wet towels). Trial and error is one of the most fun parts of baking.
You could also make cupcakes out of your leftover batter, or freeze it icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah what she ^^^^ saidicon_smile.gif

ycknits Posted 17 May 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 5

I bake at 325F with no baking strips on any pan 6" or smaller - get great results in my oven.

Rhonlynn Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:00am
post #5 of 5

I finally made a near perfect cake! I went out and bought the Wilton Baking strips, and put the oven on 300 for 20 minutes then increased it to 325 for 10 minutes. It worked well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%