What Do You Do With Batter While Cupcakes Bake?

Baking By GillianNewlin Updated 18 May 2011 , 6:39pm by LindaF144a

GillianNewlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GillianNewlin Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 14

Hello,
I am new to this website, and I have a question about cupcakes.

I have always wondered what to do about this.

When you get your first batch of cupcakes in the oven (I only have a 12 muffin/cake pan) So I can only bake 12 at a time. What do you do with the bowl of the rest of your batter that you're going to use to make the rest of your cupcakes?

I usually just cover the bowl and let it sit on counter.

I have read many different "opinions" from different websites, some say refrigerate it, some say leave it on counter... I am confused.. Help! icon_smile.gif

Thank you, this website is awesome, I am so grateful I found it!

Gillian

13 replies
kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 14

I just leave mine on the counter. I can bake 24 at a time, but the most I've ever done is 10 dozen, so the batter didn't have to sit that long.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 14

My batch of batter makes 2 dozen and I bake 1 dozen at a time. I just get the next ones ready to go in as soon as the first batch comes out. The batter only sits out for about 20 minutes or so.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 17 May 2011 , 1:24am
post #4 of 14

I leave it out on the counter because from my experience, room temp batter bakes better.

rachel_n_jazmin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel_n_jazmin Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:05am
post #5 of 14

I had never thought of that before, but after reading the response I'm glad you asked it. I've always just left mine on the counter. When I starting reading your question I started thinking, "oh man am I doing something wrong?". I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that does this.

GillianNewlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GillianNewlin Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 14

I eat mine with a spoon on the sly and then blame the kids for devouring the raw batter! icon_biggrin.gif (joke but I wish i could!)

I portion them into the cupcake pan and stick in the fridge.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 14

I refrigerate mine, to retard the leavening action.

I want the second batch of cupcakes to look just like the first.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=715926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 14

I think this is sometimes a box vs scratch issue as well. Box mixes will be fine scratch can be pickier. I have done both. I find cold batter rises better for boxed mixes...may not be true of scratch.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 14

I leave scratch out on the counter for 20 minutes sometimes waiting for the next baking cycle. It comes out fine.

imagenthatnj Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

I leave scratch out on the counter for 20 minutes sometimes waiting for the next baking cycle. It comes out fine.

Is it OK to leave it for longer?

Because the OP says she has only one baking tray, so I'm assuming she bakes her cupcakes for 15-20 min. and then she has to take them out of that one tray, and start putting the new liners in and filling in the wells...

That might take a lot longer.

When I leave mine out, I usually leave it on the tray, ready to replace the one in the oven.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 14

I refrigerate mine. Just had and order for 450 cupcakes two weeks ago and worked great!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Is it OK to leave it for longer?

Because the OP says she has only one baking tray, so I'm assuming she bakes her cupcakes for 15-20 min. and then she has to take them out of that one tray, and start putting the new liners in and filling in the wells...

That might take a lot longer.

When I leave mine out, I usually leave it on the tray, ready to replace the one in the oven.

I had that once, I had to wait for a pan to cool and then fill it. I don't remember a failure, so I will say Yeah, It will work fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%