Fondant

Decorating By ivycolonpe Updated 18 May 2011 , 1:52pm by Marianna46

ivycolonpe Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 8

I'd like to know any techique to make the fondant looks shine. Sometime when the dark fondant is rolled out with sugar looks not shine when is over the cake. Could anybody help me out with this matter. Thanks, ivycolonpe

7 replies
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 8

u can use brush the fondant with some vodka...works like a charm! it dries quickly and it leaves a nice shine on the fondant

Marianna46 Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 8

There are several ways to do this. First, once your cake is decorated, take a clean pastry brush and brush as much powdered sugar or cornstarch off you fondant as you can. Then there are three basic things you can do. One is to paint the cake, or just the decorations, with a 50/50 mixture of vodka and corn syrup (careful here, because this mixture can dissolve brighter colors and transfer them to ligher ones, so you have to do one color of fondant at a time). Another is to rub the fondant with a little bit of shortening. Yet another is to steam the fondant with a steam iron or a clothers steamer. Take care here, too, because too much steam will melt your fondant and/or make your colors run.

ivycolonpe Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 8

Thank to everybody for your advices. I'll be try all your techniques to check which work better for me. Thanks a lot.

whiteangel Posted 16 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 8

Some times I have used a spray bottle of water, set to very mine mist, and five the cake a little spray. This gives me the shine, but sometimes some powder is left behind. Haven't tried the vodka. Kept thinking it would leave a taste behind.

joknee Posted 17 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 8

I do not have any and have not used any, but I have seen on tutorials that there is an edible spry laquer that will shine it up nicely.

ivycolonpe Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 8

Sometimes the fondant get dry so fast when you rolled out over the cake and looks as an elephant skin. Is there any way to avoid this when you are working with the fondant before you cover the cake. When that happen, the cake dosen't look clean and neat. Could somebody advise me?

Marianna46 Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 8

If you mix a little vegetable shortening in with your fondant before you roll it out, it will help to prevent the elephant skin. Use as little powdered sugar or cornstarch as possible to keep your fondant from sticking to the mat you're rolling on, especially on the top side of the fondant, and don't turn the fondant over from side to side as you roll it, because that will work even more powdered sugar into it. I had this problem when I first started covering cakes with fondant, but these two things helped to prevent it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%